Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OasisGuy wrote:
I bought a C-Tug trolley the other day (Hobie couldn't supply a H/D cart) and it's a good unit. It'll take a huge load and isn't reliant on scupper holes, sitting on 'seats' instead which of course can be positioned anywhere under the boat to get a good balance of load. I could put the C-Tug up front and the Trax2 where it belongs.....and then I could rig up a chain/gear set and drive it to the launch site......or road sail it !....hmmmmm....may want to steer it also at some point ?

That's a great looking Kiwi product. I like the kickstand too. If I owned a TI, I would own one of these.

Also interesting is the way it can used as a assisted car loader, as shown a couple times in this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ijJCIuXyM&NR=1[/youtube]

Have you tried using it this way?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Good little instructional video you've found there NOHUHU.

I haven't used the product at all yet apart from rigging my AI in the yard and testing out the whole thing. It's Election Day (Federal) here today and then I've got a large burn to do (not an arsonist....a Rural Fire Fighter), so todays ruled out. Weekend anyway, which I usually avoid because of the crowds.

That was pretty neat the way they loaded via the bonnet/boot. A great way for those of us with dodgy backs etc. I use a 'Rack 'n Roll', which works perfectly for me.

Speaking of fires. We've got a few river systems in our area that border our regular burn areas (National Parks, farms etc). I might volunteer my AI services to do the 'light up' from the banks when the wind suits. (Camera at ready) We use home made Molotov's. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

av8erdunn,
Demoing both is the best option.
If you like them you may prefer to sell the Getaway. Many members have posted about their Cats not seeing much water since their AI/TI purchase. :)
C-Tug PS:
We used our C-Tug trolley for the first time yesterday. It made retrieving our TI at the boat ramp much easier and I stayed a lot drier! :wink:
The C-Tug slid under the hull easily with my wife and I holding opposite rear TI handles and dragging the cart by its straps into place. The only negative was that we couldn't get the cart along the hull enough to balance it as well as the Trax2 does so I had a bit more weight at the bow handle. Better than using the rear scuppers though. Next time out we will try two carts with the Trax in the the rear scupper cart position and C-Tug forward. That should take weight off the bow handle.
I still prefer to launch with the scupper cart as the Trax2 is easy to insert and hold in place when on the trailer, but it was always a chore getting it back in when on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What's also neat about the C-Tug, is that you can arrange it into a seat for yourself around a camp fire.

It even comes with fuel for the camp fire.

Well....it's cardboard box. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We started with a Sport and an Outback last year, saw all the positive comments on the AI's and were thinking about them when the TI was announced. From that point forward it was all we could think about. We traded in the Outback and Sport for a Revo and TI, and mainly use just the TI now.

My wife uses the Revo on calm days to go explore for critters, but she's eagerly out on the TI tramps anytime the wind begins to freshen. I'd say we use the TI 95+ percent of the time now.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds like the TI may be the way to go but I am going to demo both to see which we like better. A fellow forum member has offered to take me out on his since he has both :D . Now all I have to do is find time to drive down to Jacksonville to test them before I make up my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went sailing today in the ocean in front of my house and bumped into a fellow Hobie Adventurer as I sailed around an island.

I was on my AI with my adult daughter on a tramp (I was on the tramp on the way home) and he was on his TI by himself.

I guess that's the benefit of both boats, both very versatile.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

av8erdunn wrote:
It sounds like the TI may be the way to go but I am going to demo both to see which we like better. A fellow forum member has offered to take me out on his since he has both :D . Now all I have to do is find time to drive down to Jacksonville to test them before I make up my mind.

How far do you have to drive to have a 'test drive'. I had the same issue with trying the both out. I sailed the AI, however, there were no TI's around except to look at. We had our boat show in Melbourne and it was kept out of the water for the show. We ended up buying the TI without a sail but our local dealer has said that if we do not lik it we can swap it over (I can't see that happening - not liking it I mean!!!).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul67 wrote:
av8erdunn wrote:

How far do you have to drive to have a 'test drive'. I had the same issue with trying the both out. I sailed the AI, however, there were no TI's around except to look at. We had our boat show in Melbourne and it was kept out of the water for the show. We ended up buying the TI without a sail but our local dealer has said that if we do not lik it we can swap it over (I can't see that happening - not liking it I mean!!!).

It is a little over 400 miles and 6 hours to his neck of the woods if I drive. I can jump in the airplane and fly down in about 3 hours give or take a little. It just depends on what the winds are doing that day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

well :!:

Thats a long trip for as short sail. My local dealer is only 30min away and I have 3 within 1 1/2 hours (sorry to rub it in). Hope all goes well :)