Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good day to everyone. I have just purchased an AI and have had 3 enjoyable outings in my local sailing area in the beautiful Chichester Harbour at the eastern end of the Solent. I love my AI and it makes the perfect substitute for those days when the wind is not enough for windsurfing, one of my other passions.

On my last outing the Rudder Down Handle came off and the line was pulled back inside the hull. I now need to re-route it if possible but am unsure of the best /easiest way to do this.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing to everyone. Sid the Fish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you untie the line from the back hatch, and tie some extra line to it to retrieve it, you can then work the original line back into place from the front and middle hatches. I push the whole tube assembly out of the hull to make it easy to thread the line through, then push it assembled back in place. If you use a figure-8 knot (the best), the stick-on label won't fit back on, so I usually glue it to the hull above it. When done, just tie the lines back together from the back hatch. I like to keep the down line tied pretty short, so there is less line in the cockpit when in use (all adjusted from the back hatch).

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips on rerouting the lines. My next problem is how to remove the tube. The Harken cleat looks like it needs to be removed and I am struggling to get at the nuts inside the hull.

What is the best way to tackle this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sid, you need a fairly deep socket to accommodate the screw or you could try going a shorter screw. Forget about pliers. A stubby ratchet or driver is best.

It's a pretty uncomfortable job, tweaking your arm and shoulder into that crawlspace. Felt like I was impregnating a cow,.. (artificially of course :roll: )

You can make it a lot easier by raising the hull and sitting it on its side. Such as on sawhorses against a wall.

I had to remove the cleat, just to replace the starboard map pocket. :x So if you need to replace those too, this would be the time to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sid the fish wrote:
My next problem is how to remove the tube.
I just push it out from the front hatch, with help from the center hatch. With the line out of it, it's much easier to get something in there to push on it like a hammer handle. Once it starts out it's easier to grab from the cockpit area. (Plus, some of my relatives are Canadian, so everything can be used as a hammer, and a hammer can fix everything!) :lol:

I wouldn't play with the cleat if you don't have too. If you do ever need to remove the cleat, I've found that using a socket held with a stubby #2 screwdriver from behind worked best to hold the nuts.