Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have built a trailer that I decked in treated 2x6's then added a layer of compression padding. On top of that is outdoor carpeting. I would like to know if trailering the AI upright when having that much surface area is acceptable? They are not on cradles it would just sit perfectly upright...I'm going to try to snag a loc in the garage really quick.

Here's a pic with my Hobie PA on the bottom where the AI goes as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's how she's sitting over night...

Here's a shot of the deck before I padded and carpeted...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice trailer! I like the set-up. Here's my opinion. Hobie recommends that we never store, or transport our AI's flat on the hull. So there is a risk. Having said that, I carry mine right side up on cradles when I transport it.

I guess I would have one concern for you. If you were to tie that boat down, how would you do it? My guess is you would strap it with a force that puts pressure on the hull by pushing the boat down towards the trailer (as seen in the Pro Angler picture that you posted). That wouldn't be good. Even though I carry my boat right side up, the straps that hold it on the rack hug the boat evenly all the way around, and don't press anything down onto the cradles. If you push down on the boat, you run a bit of a risk.

There does seem to be a simple solution to your problem though. Why not flip the boat upside down and carry it that way? It's the recommended way by Hobie, it allows you to strap it down towards the trailer, and there's no cradle system to stop you from doing that. If you were concerned about placing all of the weight on the aka bars, you could build something up around the gunwales of the boat.

It's just a thought, but that would be the ideal way to carry things, and you seem to have the space and ability to do it. To me it's a matter of, "Why carry the boat in the non recommended way when it's just as easy (or almost as easy) to carry it in the recommended way?"

Whether you'll have problems or not keeping it the way you have it is up for debate, but it wouldn't be the Hobie recommended way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I originally built the trailer I was basing the design on the fact that the PA can be stored and transported flat on it's bottom. Was really hoping that I'd be able to do te same with the AI. Guess not...

That being said what you are telling me is that I can actually rest the yak on the aka cross bar supports with no ill effect at all? My next question would then turn to can I put the AI on the Malone Seawings cradles that are on the top portion of my trailer? Will this not damage the yak itself? I could then in turn put a tool or gang box down below and stow all my gear on the trailer instead of in the car.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess this is where the debate comes. In theory, carrying the boats, even on cradles is not recommended. Having said that, many people do carry them in cradles. If it was MY boat, I'd put in on my Yakima Mako Saddle's on the top of your trailer. I can't speak to the suitability of your Malone saddles, as I've never seen them in person.

Personally I would carry our Revolution upside down without any problems, however with the AI, I'm not a big fan of setting the aka cross bars on the trailer because I think there is a better way to carry the boat. You could also mount it on it's side, and strap it to the side of the trailer.

I'm working on a design for a custom trailer to allow us to go biking and boating while we camp in the future, (right now we can only fit our bikes, or our boats on the roof, and not both)

My trailer is going to be similar to yours but a bit shorter in height. I want to put the boats on the racks using my Yakima Mako saddles (because they allow for a little bit of play in absorbing bumps on the road) The racks would not be terribly high for two reasons, that keeps the boats out of the wind (for better aerodynamics and fuel economy), and the boats won't have to be lifted as high to mount on the racks. But I'm thinking like you, put the boats on the racks, and take the camping equipment out of the car and into the bottom of the trailer.

In theory, you could mount the boat upside down right onto the racks that you have, but mounting a plastic boat onto metal bars with nothing to soften the ride seems a bit risky to me.

I'm not the expert in transporting the AI, and there is a thread that talks about Roof Racking the AI, and it's over 10 pages long. There are plenty of options, but I would avoid strapping it down hard onto it's bottom.

I hope that helps, and doesn't just confuse the issue!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Its been a while since I last measured the height of my trailer, but I think to the top rail from the ground is 43 inches. I still have some materials left that I've been debating building a storage box in the open space above the bottom kayak but still below the top bar (hope that makes sense). Ok so let mr run this by you...how about I build a small wooden platform slight wider that the kayak portion of the AI and just tall enough to keep the cross bars from actually resting on the trailer. That would utilize the entire cockpit surface area for contact and stealing down. I'll still use the compression padding on top of the platform so that it's not direct conact to a hard surface.

Sorry if my posts seem vague I'm posting ok the road from my phone...no I'm not driving!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SinkingShip wrote:
how about I build a small wooden platform slight wider that the kayak portion of the AI and just tall enough to keep the cross bars from actually resting on the trailer. That would utilize the entire cockpit surface area for contact and stealing down. I'll still use the compression padding on top of the platform so that it's not direct conact to a hard surface.

That would be perfect! You'd be carrying it the way Hobie recommends, and not damage the aka cross bars.

In my opinion, that's your best option.

Don't worry about your "vague" posts, I feel like my responses have been the same!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool!!! Looks like I've got me a project tonight when I get off work. I think I have everything I need at home already. Thanks for the input!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll assume that the check is in the mail? You know... for the consulting fee. :wink:

I'd love to see some pictures when you're done. I'm still working on a concept for my AI/Revolution/Bicycle/Camping gear trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The only thing I'm now forced to think about is where to put the sail. Prior to this I was resting it across the top on the yak and using bungees to keep it in place. Looks like I'll be hitting the hardware store for some PVC and strapping. I'm thinking to make sure it gets ample support I'm going to run it along the underside of the tounge and out off the backside...not too sure just yet :o/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SinkingShip,
I converted an old Hobie 16 trailer to carry my two AI's...I didn't spend the bucks for the cradles...I made my own "Pirate Pillows" (do a search and you'll know what they are) out of closed cell foam...I store them on the trailer full time..It's been a year without any distortion problems...this makes loading and unloading at the ramp much easier...this works for me...hope it gives you some ideas...

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found your topic on them last night, but all the pics that had been linked were no longer showing up...anyway you could re-post them?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SinkingTrip,

I have a set of AI cradles listed for sale in the classified section if you're interested.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SinkingShip, Just click on the thumbnail pic and it will take you to the pics of the trailer on Photobucket...I just tried it and it worked...

CaptRon
"Anything's gonna happen,
it's gonna happen out there"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I went into recycle mode last night. I took all my wood scraps put and began putting my box together. Took mr about 2 hours from start to finish (in the dark). It's not pretty at the moment, but it's temporary...unless it works really well! I put the compression padding on it and even made cut outs for the aka cross bar balls and the cleat that stick up slightly taller than the deck of the AI. It seems to work rather well although I am a bit worried about it not resting flat but I don't think it will flex too much bouncing down the road.

Oh and now since I cannot strap the mast/sail to the top of the yak anymore I guess I'm forced into building a mast tube...done right will cost me about 60 bucks :0/