Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Offshore
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This could have been called "First, First, First"... first time 'driving in the back seat', first time offshore, and first time I tried out my new fishing gear. Being on my own, I didn't venture far offshore, just a mile or two, but it was fun with a 1 metre swell.

As you might notice, sitting in the rear lifts the bow somewhat, which produces a bit of bow slapping whilst sailing to windward. It feels like there's less weather helm, but hard to say with only light winds of just 6 knots or so. It will take 15 knot plus winds to see if that's actually true.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DosYtk0zVVU[/youtube]

Without rod holders yet, I resorted to using the Hobie's built in ones. I was quite concerned about tacking and having the mainsheet catch the reel, but that didn't happen in today's light conditions. However, adjustable rod holders are high on the priority list.

Nothing fish-wise, and the lads in their fishing yaks didn't get anything either, but back at the boat ramp, there were a few power boat fishos cleaning a nice catch... oh well, another time... there's a marlin out there with my name on it!

Post subject: Re: First Offshore
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love the way the amas sit up out of the water when you are pedalling with the sail furled. Why, why, why can't we have that with the AI?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just curious, is there a reason I see people peddling while under sail. I see alot of people doing it and have wondered why. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day av8erdunn!

Pedalling whilst sailing... there's a couple of reasons I guess. In the vid above, I was heading out of a river breakwall for the first time, and I wanted to keep up headway in rather light conditions and against the wind.

Think of it as "hybrid propulsion". :)

Another situation where I'll pedal even with good wind is whilst executing a tack on a narrow area like a river, especially against the tide. This gets me quickly back up to speed.

But rest assured, with any breeze above a slight puff, I don't pedal much at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ah, I see. Even in the Hobie videos the people were pedaling and I did not understand why.
Thanks for clearing it up. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't understand while all the people are peddling either.

I've only installed one of the mirage drives once since I've owned my TI and that was to see how hard it would be to peddle home if I ran out of wind. I always carry one just in case I need it but it sits tethered in the front cockpit while I sail in the rear one. I just can't stand the thought of all that drag'

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At least in the AI, the drive can be a big aid when sailing upwind, both to help with tacking and to point higher. It depends what mode you are using the boat in. For blasting around the bay, it's often more fun with the drive out. For expeditions, where you are trying to reach a destination in reasonable time, augmenting the sails with the drive will usually get you there quicker, unless it's all downwind in a good breeze. It's also good exercise - sure beats a stationary bike :wink: .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll peddle to keep warm when sailing mid winter.

I'm a Queenslander. I haven't figured out that 'rug up' stuff yet. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OasisGuy wrote:
I'll peddle to keep warm when sailing mid winter.

I'm a Queenslander. I haven't figured out that 'rug up' stuff yet. :lol:

A Queensander :!:
I think your mid winter would be a nice sunny spring/summer day for us in Melbourne :lol:
If you have heard of a jumper go out any buy one; while I get my dry suit out for my next winter :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's DT's all year round here Paul.

When I get the AI out I don the boardies for a bit of dignity. (and not to scare the children and small dogs) :lol:

The water was glorious today. Absolutely crystal clear.

If you're ever up this way shoot me an email and take the AI out.

Ken.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dosjers wrote:
I don't understand while all the people are peddling either.

I've only installed one of the mirage drives once since I've owned my TI and that was to see how hard it would be to peddle home if I ran out of wind. I always carry one just in case I need it but it sits tethered in the front cockpit while I sail in the rear one. I just can't stand the thought of all that drag'

as captain max explained, in the AI when you are tacking, it tends to stall just as you are head-on into the wind, so a lot of people use the drive to keep the momentum going and pedal it through that stall point. The TI does not seem to suffer from this problem, hence you can keep your drive stowed most of the time.

Nevertheless it is always a good idea to ALWAYS carry your drive & your paddles, the drive for when there is no wind, & the paddles in case your steering system fails.

Tim