Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: weird leak any ideas?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Noticed after getting off the water yesterday there was a small amount of water inside maybe a cup. Dried out and chaulked it up to rough water. Today same thing only a little more water and it was calm. partially filled boat nothing, tried the vacumn trick no bubbles. left the water in and checked it a little while ago and water on the ground under drive well. Dont see or feel any cracks. should I take it to the dealer and report problem or wait for it to get worse? Is there something else I can do? If its a tiny leak would it seem worse when using drive? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Leaks can show up in the oddest places. Did you check in all 10 of your scupper tubes and rudder shaft opening? Yes, the Drive can open a crack. As long as it's small, you might keep a cautious eye on it until you can locate it, or call the dealer and see what he has to say. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd notify the dealer now, put him on alert that you have the issue. And yes, as already mentioned, the movement of the drive system can 'work' cracks open if they're near that area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, I will notify dealer, but I can not find that little sucker, have to wait till it gets worse, hope I'm not miles out when it decides to show itself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

remy4u97 wrote:
Thanks, I will notify dealer, but I can not find that little sucker, have to wait till it gets worse, hope I'm not miles out when it decides to show itself.

Make sure th take a hand pump with you if you have doubts.... A simple double movement hand pump will move a lot of water in a hurry and still let you use the mirage drive to get back to land..... Safety first? Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks, always carry pump ;) usually for bailing out sit insides that dump along the way!

Ok here is second scupper back on right, notice the defined lip (not a burr) just below this on inside is super thin can dent with fingertip pressure and when I stand to flycast if you leave hatch open and remove bucket 2 things happen 1st it buckles and twist a little 2nd water trickles down scupper on inside (but not a constant leak) depends on where I stand.

wetness on foot pad is just where I turned it over with water inside, not from leak.