Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm concerned about the problems some people are experiencing.
It seems as though some people have had problems, rather soon after buying their Hobie ( not 5 or 10 years later, when you could expect things to wear out ).
Before I buy one .... I'm hopful I can be convinced that my money is well spent.
Help !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:38 pm 
Hobie Team Member

No problem with my new Adventure.

BTW most of the people who had problems I have seen posted were solved by Hobie shipping a new hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my Outbacks for a full season and no worries. Saltwater: Gulf and bay, freshwater: lake and stream. Best money I've ever spent on recreation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

No problems with my Mirage Classic after 5 years. It's been a great kayak.

No problems with my Mirage Tandem. It's about the same age, but hasn't been used as much.

I just got a new Adventure. I'm anticipating the possibility of a rudder problem (new flip up rudder system), but am not about to let that keep me from the enjoyment of its unique features -- am confident that IF there is a problem, it'll get resolved.

In my opinion, this isn't a question of quality, but one of innovation. Hobie has always made a quality product. Yet, the nature of their continuing improvements puts elements of their product line at some higher risk of failure than those manufacturers who only produce "tried and true" merchandise. But look what they've achieved! My Adventure is miles ahead of the old Classic in virtually every aspect: the plastic used in the hull, fin material, rudder line, the Mirage drive, Rotomolding methodology, fittings, hatches, ergonomics, design, etc. etc. Even so, the Classic remains light years ahead of almost everything else on the market in terms of capability and versatility!

If you want a paddling kayak, there are lots of great choices on the market. But if you think Hobie kayaks offer some unique features that would enhance your enjoyment, my advise is, take the plunge -- I seriously doubt that you will regret it! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have to agree with Roadrunner in terms of Hobie having the most innovative products out there. According to the dealers and owners who have had problems (and unlike most of the other kayak companies based on dealer's experiences), Hobie takes care of any problems right away at no cost to the customer if it is a manufacturing problem. No hassles, no arguments, no company bs to the customers! They take care of what needs to be done--period--end of discussion.

They are also one of the few companies that is always looking for ways to make their products better and more reliable--so they are never one to rest on their laurels. So far, with a sand-colored 2004 Outback, no hull problems, but even at this late date, with my hull out of warranty, Hobie has indicated they will still take care of any hull moldng problems. I did have a minor problem with the Mirage drive adjusting pins (which had already been corrected by Hobie about 4 months after I got mine). Inside of a week, I had received the updated pins and parts to repair mine at no cost to me. So, rest assured, Hobie will stick with you if you have a manufacturing problem down the road. Hobie--the "good hands" people!

Post subject: Feedback
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for all the great feed back! We love the products we sell and we want to share them with the World. When you have a problem with our products, we feel absolutely responsible and understand the frustration on a personal level. As many posts attest to...we will stand behind our products.

A couple of points that are important here. The problems people have had are not wear related. They are not design or function flaws. The problems are unfortunate production or materials issues.

Roadrunner,

Did you see my post about the Twist-n-Stow rudder adjustments? I will make it a FAQ. The rudders are working very easily with proper adjustment.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 1981#11981

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All true regarding Hobie and the way they stand behind their products however, I'd like to add that their dealers (In my experience) follow suite. My dealer, Fast Lane Sailing Center in San Diego stepped up to the plate when I had a problem. A short time after I bought my Outback I noticed some fraying of the rudder uphaul line. When I called my dealer he said without hesitation "Bring it in and we'll fix it right away... while you wait." I did and he did. The cause of the fraying was a burr on the inside edge of the metal grommet that's inserted into the hole in the deck where the control line enters. He replaced the metal grommet, installed brand new lines and adjusted the mechanism for proper performance.

Now tell me, how could you ask for more?! I just wish all manufacturers and their dealers would demonstrate that level of professionalism and customer service. I'm a huge fan of Hobie and like most others who own their products, a very vocal proponent.

Like the athletic shoe company slogan goes, Just Do It!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 2 sports and both work excellent! No problems whatsoever. The only minor isues I have are a few cups of water in the hulls after a day's use. I'll live with that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to say I have absolute confidence in my Hobie warranty. I have bought a product from a progressive company, who take the effort and initiative to make new and amazing products, and I have already experienced the best warranty service there is.

I rang Mal, (Sunstate Hobie. Cooroy, Qld, Australia) and said "I have a problem". No worries, he said. The replacement part was couriered to me immediately.
OK, so there has been a couple of minor production problems, most notably the hull cracking in the Outback, but the immediate rectification has been amazing.
Consider me hooked. I reckon Hobie are a good example of how a company should operate. Listen to the consumer, respect their opinions, keep them happy, keep innovating.
Goodonya hobie.
Jake Pattison, Australia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
BTW most of the people who had problems I have seen posted were solved by Hobie shipping a new hull.

I don't own one but may someday. I only know what people say and post on KayakFishingStuff.com, and in the length of time I have enjoyed that site, I have never seen a negative comment, just praise and satisfied owners, no matter what Hobie they own.

Adventures are the in thing now, but many, it seems, own Outbacks. I have read statements saying the Outbacks don't paddle well because of their size (width I think), but in another post an Outback owner is raving about how great his is. I think it comes down to taste and qualities desired.

A few people have mentioned a few problems ranging from Outback cracks to a rudder damaged in shipping; all were corrected by Hobie immediately according to the owners. Everyone, it seems, ends up happy. If sales and brand loyalty are built by attention to detail and customer satisfaction, Hobie apparently has found the key to success for all I have read.

And, I still don't own one! Maybe, next week!

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
solved by Hobie shipping a new hull.

I meant to ask, how does this work? Isn't a new hull the whole kayak?

Ray

Post subject: Hull
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:49 am 
Site Admin

Pretty much. A replacement hull comes fully rigged, but without a drive, seat or paddle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, Matt.

When I buy this Adventure the really great public relations step you could make is to come down here or have me out there so you can teach me how to use all of the innovations and equipment perfectly. After all, I'm a novice and need all the help I can get!

Seriously, have you all ever offered classes or anything like that to help make Hobie kayakers the best they can be? Like Outward Bound, but not as tough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am 
Hobie Team Member

Hey Matt

Hold that outbound adventure on the Big Island! Also a one day fishing contest.

Besides introducing the locals to your Mirage drives and filming some great PR you could operate out of one of the hotels with a beach for day orientation followed by some overnighters to remote spots. There are some great opportunities. Also maybe:

1. Selling the hotels a few yaks for guest use.

2. Recruiting a dealer.

3. Introduce the new sail rig by getting out to the 11 mile offshore FAD.

Then hold your annual salesmeeting so your staff gets in a few days R&R (that should get you here!).

I'l be glad to help.

Aloha

Dan

Post subject: Outward Bound?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Outward Bound for Hobie Kayakers?

Sounds like a tough week of grueling kayaking on the Big Island. Make it... two weeks. Just to be sure you are safe kayakers, we better do refresher courses in many different (warm water) places on a regular basis! I'm in!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)