Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi All,

Getting the Tiger setup for my first F18 regatta this weekend and I'm wondering about various ways to setup a chicken line for the crew for downwind runs. I've seen few different ways, from a single bungee cord through the back crossbar, tied to the front of a footstrap on the rear of the hull. Also, I've seen bungee double looped inside the rear crossbar with a small block, then run out to a small hook (seems dangerous) which he then hooks into his trap harness strap. What's everyones thoughts? If you just run a bungee, how do you hook up into it? Wrap it around the harness hook after the trap ring?

Thanks in advance!

B

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For me I prefer the line tied to rearmost end of footstrap and then connected to sidestay with bungee cord, goes under tramp - easier to grab when going out in waves, a pain coming in as you need to lift feet over bungee cord until you get used to it.

I use two balls that will keep me centre and hook in between them. With difference in heights you will need to experiment to find best position. You will need a hook on harness to clip on with. The balls stop forward and back momentum, all your concentration is available for the spinnaker. Maybe chicken but damn effective when going down waves and bow digs in - you are on your way quicker than without, plus skipper doesn't have to worry about crew kissing forestay.

Capsizing while hooked on is scary at first as you are hanging in mid air. Skipper can pull in mainsheet for you to stand on boom, unclip and then carry on. Tiger seldom turns turtle, despite trying we have not succeeded in turtling a tiger.

Seen some europeans using jam cleats on either end of harness bar. (Think thats the name - cleat used on height adjuster on trapeze)

Noticed small hooks on either end of harness bar very effective.

Do not ever tie end of chicken line to rudder gudgeons, one bad pitch and you lose rudder gudgeon, pin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use a strong line that is run trough a drilled hole in the back of the boat and backed by a large SS washer. On the other end is a hook which will clip to the trapeze handle, NOT THE HARNESS. There is a bungee in the rear crossbar that takes up the slack when it is not in use which attaches on the line so as to fold the chicken line into the crossbar.