Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warming up to Oasis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm still not convinced my Oasis is appropriate for the early/late season northern trips I had planned for it primarily because it's a very wet ride especially with any kind of chop and because the bottom of boat where the drive inserts is always underwater by an inch or so. Not fun in our temperatures of water but probably fine for tropical or southern regions. Maybe I should get a 7mm wetsuit...

We're keeping the old canoe for those trips, but the Oasis is a fun little boat for the summer trips on the reasonably warm water local lakes. It's far faster than the other canoe/kayaks on the local lakes; people have even asked me what kind of motor we have on it. When I take it on the urban lake for after work quick runs, people just stare at it and take photos. It's kind of embarrassing.

With the sidekicks on, it's stable. I don't plan to sail it without them. They're also nice insurance when people in motorboats zoom by 30' away and kick up huge wakes when we go to the bigger lakes.

I'm taking the Oasis to Rowan's Ravine today with the waterproof camera so I should have some photos/video if anyone cares to check them out. I like the Oasis better than when I first got it but I think I would have preferred a pair of AIs instead.

Next year...and a trailer.

Post subject: Re: Warming up to Oasis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you don't like the "wet" ride in the Oasis you would hate the AI.
A little bit of water sloshing around down by your feet is nothing compared to being hit by a chest height wall of water!
Glad you are warming to the Oasis BTW! :wink:
PS- A wetsuit only works when it has water in it. You will still be cold and uncomfortable in a wetsuit that is just hit by spray.
Drysuits or Goretex type pants and jackets are what you should be considering. :)

Post subject: Re: Warming up to Oasis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check Sierra trading Post if you want a great deal on gear and wetsuits. Save you a bundle.