Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the Pro Angler's normal/ average cruising speed?...And what is it's top hull speed?...I ask because I timed myself once, over a 2 mile distance peddling at a comfortable speed for myself, and it took 30 minutes so I estimated my speed at about 4 mph...But I didn't take into account wether I was peddling with, or against the tide and I also had a head wind of about 5 mph. Going back in, the wind had changed direction to continue to blow against me about the same speed or 5 mph, but it took me about 1.5 times as long to get back...

Also, I went to a website where they had a formula for determining a boat's top hull speed, and from using their formula the resulting top hull speed for the PA was a little over 5 mph...But that doesn't seem correct...That seems a little bit slow?...Are there any engineers out there, or on Hobie's staff that can answer my question?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Everybody's cruise speed is different depending on fins, power applied and distance. It could be 3 MPH fore some and 4.5 MPH for others. The usual displacement hull speed formula doesn't really apply to kayaks since they're not really displacement hulls. Length to width ratios, weight, etc also make a difference. So there is no hard and fast rule. The PA can be sprinted to over 6 MPH. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Using my GPS, I determined that my sustained cruising speed is about 3-3.5 mph.dependent upon the wind. you have to concider that the kayak is loaded, I weigh 170lbs, and I'm 59 years old.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The fastest I have gotten mine with the eVolve is 5.8 mph.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tested my today, first time hobie owner...via GPS 4.5 with a head wind of 5-10, and tide coming in... fastest was 5.2 and slowest was comfortable 3.8...hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since this is a speed topic, i'll just add a little caution. It's best to ease up a little at the end of each mirage drive stroke. The fins contact the under side of the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:47 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If the fins are hitting the hull at the end of a normal stroke, you should extend the pedals by one notch so no contact is made. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MMMMMMM! and I figured the noise was me running a ground :lol: