Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally got around to checking my mast base screws. Outcome - 3 very loose and 1 missing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stunning pix, by the way.

We put Loctite on our mast base screws and rudder post mount earlier this week - so far so good.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast base screws were ok for me. I will loctite them at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometimes when I bothered to look, there will be some water left in the mast base slot when Ive put the kayak away. Certainly while sailing, there is likely water in the slot. I tried to get any sort of data on how "waterproof" loctite blue is but seems no mention. It must be fairly good since used on auto's but the application on the Hobie is almost "below the waterline". Loctite lists other products which mention waterproof..

Im probably just going to use loctite blue but the waterproof issue is is a slight concern and am wondering if some sort of epoxy might be better simply because the screws can spend a fair amount of time underwater (at the risk of not being able to get the screw back out)..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Loctite makes a leakproof seal and should therefore not be affected by water. According to Loctite product No 243 has be used on pressure-cockers with good results.
It is important to apply to dry threads and wait the required 24 hours for curing before exposure to water. I have used Loctite 243 on my previous boats without any problems.

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been a bit lazy and never solved this problem. Now I realized all four screws are gone. I am out on a big lake and wonder if I should avoid sailing before the screws are back. How critical is the function of the metal plate in the bottom of the mast? I guess the plate will stay in its place as long as the mast stands on it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Probably I have lost the plate in the bottom of the mast hole. As far as I remember there was a plate with an upstanding pin. What I see now is probably the bronze plate underneath. So no more sailing for me the next weeks, I fear! Hobie has clearly not informed well enough about these problems! Five years ago they told AI-owners to fasten the loose screws, and also said something about Loctite, which Hobie clearly should have put on the screws!

This thread has a very uninformative headline, which in no way says anything about the importance of the subject. I cant find a thread about this topic with a more informative and alarming headline.

Hobie doesnt seem to care too much about their customers, however much some people here like to suggest the opposite!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It seems to me the forum should have a section with red alerts. With important information from Hobie about Hobie Islands, only. Now there is a FAQ section with some "tech notes". Hardly a place to put an alarming message about something which should be taken care of immediately!

Like the very much less important headline "Hobie Favorite Video" which always tops the list of recent messages.