Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage drive durability
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hate to sound too concerned but from what i'm hearing on some of these postings, the mirage drive has a tendency to skip links, squeak, and even break. why did Hobie go to a composite drive gear and lighten up the Mirage Drive? From the way it sounds the old MD worked better and ran smoother. Is the difference in weight worth the higher maintainance trade off. Are the new drives Durable? Do they break alot :cry: or are these just isolated incidents? :D
Any imput would be appreciated, thanks again Baldyaker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Baldyaker-Now I am not going to profess to be an all knowing expert here as I have had my Adventure for only three months. But, I did a lot of research, talked to several Mirage owners, and had extensive conversations with three different Hobie dealers before I bought. The verdict was pretty much the same everywhere. Little to no problems with the drive since it's inception. Yes, every now and then a problem would crop up. No big deal. Whatever happened was stood behind by Hobie 100%.

Now, what did happen in my research, was that quite a few non-Hobie dealers did their best to distort and/or magnify whatever they had 'heard' was wrong with the Hobie system. Since I have found this competitor bashing in just about every product line, I guess thats life. Kyt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So True kyt,
I guess the positives really do out weigh the negatives. I'm really looking forward to picking up our yaks in a couple of weeks. Everybody has really been helpful and I do appreciate it!
Thanks, BY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome Bald:

We got a Sport and an Outback in July last year and used them just about every weekend on Long Island Sound and local lakes. No problems at all with the drives. We do remove them for launching and landing.

I did get the drive well crack in my OB. Hobie quickly replaced the hull, so it was a minor inconvenience. Hobie most assuredly stands behind their products.