Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,
I tried what you suggested and I STILL couldn't get them to post, untill I unchecked Disable BBCode. Rookie mistake. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

69cpu,
I'm a bit late, buth thanks for your answers. I do not know how to fasten additional stays, without making a whole in de sail (can't see how I can do that with ductape!).
Have you been sailing / testing lately? Any pics or news?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Skua,
Good to hear from you. I’ve been sailing a lot and loving it. No new mods; just enjoying the boat with the family.

I’ve been thinking about how you can attach side stays to your rig at the three quarter mark and here’s what I came up with:

Using a soldering iron, burn two small holes on opposite sides of the mast sleeve (one hole on the left, and one on the right, three quarters of the way up the sail), and mark the aluminum mast with an awl to locate the position of the holes on the mast.

Remove the mast from the sail sleeve and place a stainless hose clamp just above the awl marks (wrap silicone self bonding tape around the mast first to better seat the clamp).

Above the hose clamp, wrap around the aluminum mast and tie off a piece of eighth inch line, leaving two fairly long lengths (heavier line will require larger holes). After you’ve re-inserted the mast, pull one length through the left hole and the other through the right hole with needle nose pliers.

Once you’ve pulled the lines through, attach a stainless ring to each line and attach your stays to the rings.

My thought is that since the pull from the stays will be down and away, at an angle, the hose clamp is less likely to slip. Doubling up on the hose clamps might also be a good idea.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

69cpu,

I think you are very inventive! The good thing is that the stays are attached directly to the mast, so no real force is applied to the sail. Thanks for thinking this out!
Further, I think I still would love it to see pics of your rig in action! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

At long last, action photo's!
It was kind of a gloomy day, but any day sailing is better than any day not sailing.
Here she is under full sail.

Almost had her on plane in this next shot. You can almost feel the speed.....

I'm still loving this boat.
Tasman, how's that jib coming along?
Skua and Stringy; hope you're having a great summer on the water.
Cheers.

Last edited by 69cpu on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great pics 69cpu and your sailing rig looks fantastic! 8)
We are in the middle of winter down under but it's been quite mild. We've done some day trips where I've been able to test out our new Sidekicks. Should have got them earlier as they work very well with the twin sails.
I like your adjustable front ballast! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, I think the original poster should be a designer for Hobie! Brillant! As I am a newbie about to purchase an Oasis, it sounds like this model is not a good sailer? As we ALWAYS have to paddle against the wind when heading back to the launch, we were looking forward to putting a sail on...

Gosh, with the sidekicks on your rig, you really do need an AI tandem! I am curious, in high winds, do you heel over much on the oasis? Or is she like a tug boat?!!!

Lisa :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

69cpu,

As Stringy said, great pics and thanks for posting. Great to see your rig in action; your jib looks very neat; the shape is excellent! (almost a little jaleous)
I do have a great summer on the water, now with two boats as I now also have an AI! I still love to go out and sail the oasis with jib when we go with the two of us:

Quote:
Wow, I think the original poster should be a designer for Hobie!

Thanks Lisa, that would be a nice job, especially thoroughly testing out stuff! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

69cpu

I really like your furling jib. Question for you --- what type of PVC fittings are you using at the bottom of the PVC pipe just above the carabiner? I would like to copy your use of materials.

Also, do I understand that the jib forestay with the PVC tube is already attached to the mast when you step it? So both go up together as a unit??

Many thanks

Super idea that I look forward to STEALING !!!! :o)

Regards
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron,
The fitting I used is called a Slip Union; two or three bucks at Lowes or HD. It’s a two piece threaded fitting that I glued together permanently. I then drilled a hole through the bulk of the plastic from top to bottom, and that’s where I attach the furling line.

You’re correct about the jib, PVC, forestay unit; it stays assembled and is held together by the karabiner. To step the rig, I typically attach the side stays, then pull the forestay karabiner forward and attach it to the bow shackle. While the jib is still furled, I thread the furling line through the hole in the Slip Union and knot the end. The line will coil itself around and up the forestay PVC the first time you pull the jib sheet to unfurl the jib. When you want to furl or adjust the size of the jib, just haul in on the furling line.

If you need to “steal” more information, or if you need additional pics, just let me know.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

69cpu
Thanks for your prompt response. The info is very helpful. Enjoy the yak-ing!!
Ron

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Enjoyed these photos, good approach, and it looks, "Right".

That forward position for the Sidekicks really is the best location for this kind of design, unfortunately i was unable to mount them upfront on my Revo without major modding but the behind-the-seat type mount still performed unexpectedly well, even in strong winds.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow! Very inspiring... both to make a job and to have more than 2 people on a tandem :lol:
You guys are great!

6 Questions
1- Can the sidekicks / awa go on an inflatable? All the pics have them on hard hobies, and the mounts don't look like they'd fit. Love the idea of modding the boat, but don't think I'm going to drill holes in my i14t.
2- 69cpu mention the mast was in 3 pieces for his i14t. I have a 2009, and the mast is in 4 pieces (held together with shock cord) Just checking if they changed the mast (not that I think that would change my plans).
3- How long is the PVC jib "mast"? I suppose I can cut to fit, I was just curious. Likewise, I don't suppose you remember/have notes on how much stay line you had to buy?
4- Anyone use other jib sails? I'd love to use a jib that had a window (or was all clear). Name, cost, et cetera?
5- The base of the jib was described as 2 "Slip Union" parts from the hardware store glued together with a hole for the jib furling line and a karabiner. Is there anything else, or you just pull the line and it furls up nicely?
6- Last but not least, who all have done this? Love to know ALL of your stories, thanks!

PS- 69cpu, somehow I got the impression you are in the DC area... so am I! Feel free to drop me a line if you want to try kayak sailing together sometime. I go with my 7yo boy and he'd love to see some other kids on the water!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi R41,
I can't help you with all questions, but I will try for some:

r41 wrote:
1- Can the sidekicks / awa go on an inflatable? All the pics have them on hard hobies, and the mounts don't look like they'd fit. Love the idea of modding the boat, but don't think I'm going to drill holes in my i14t.
It isn't meant for putting on an inflatable, but I don't think you need them for them, for those are quite a bit more stable.

r41 wrote:
3- How long is the PVC jib "mast"? I suppose I can cut to fit, I was just curious. Likewise, I don't suppose you remember/have notes on how much stay line you had to buy?
Since I made a flexible part in the "mast", to be able to bent it for easier handling and rigging on the water, I used ductape to fix the parts together. It's all light wind gear, so plenty strong for that. Still holds well. But the overall length is very close to that of the real mast. 4m line should be plenty.

r41 wrote:
4- Anyone use other jib sails? I'd love to use a jib that had a window (or was all clear). Name, cost, et cetera?
I'm in the (very slow) proces of making a bigger jib for my AI, based on an existing jib. That sail is a little stiff/thick for this system. Use stuff that is flexible enough.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks skua! I have a roof rack, so I'm going to skip the complications of having a flexible mast.

I have an old windsurfer sail that is too outdated to use for windsurfing, and am thinking of cutting that one down to size to use. Your caution about don't use something too stiff is something I am worried about, but we'll see (I'll take the thick battens out, but still that monofilm can be stiff even when old). The family has insisted that the hobie sail is bad enough in blocking the view.

If it doesn't work, I might try a clear shower curtain :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next