Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaks in the hull
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After a rainy day i had almost a gallon of water in the hull. Eventually I found the leaks. One under a shock-cord end and one under a bungee hook.
Leak 1
I thought it would be an easy fix to seal the leak under the screw-in fitting under the shock-cord end fitting for the main hatch. Unfortunately it turned out to be very complicated and I did not mange to make a sufficient repair. When removing the shock-cord fitting I discovered that the attempt to repair the leak at the Hobie factory was a botch job as you can see from attached pictures.
It seems that the threading tap had been “drilled” trough the bottom of the recess. In the attempts to repair this a plastic welding was left with big holes (dark parts on the picture) and the repair had reduced the depth of the recess in such a way that the screw-in fitting could not be seated fully. Because of that (I guess) the threads was destroyed. Furthermore the actual cord itself had been welded into (through) the plastic repair. In addition the flange on the screw-in fitting has no proper seat as this was also partly destroyed at the factory.
I tried to use the stainless mesh to build up a new bottom of the recess but because of the previous botch job it did not work as there was not material enough to build the repair to.
It seems that a new recess has to be cast and new threads has to be cut.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
I have made a formal claim to the dealer.
Leak 2
The bungee hook to starboard did not fit into the recess and was riding loosely on the edges, which meant that the silicon seal become a laugh. However, this leak I could fix by shaping the hook with a sharp knife and refit it into the recess with new silicone.

Does the factory knows what is important. Fitting rudders with too short screws, allowing leaks in the hulls etc. Makes me wonder.
Image Image Image

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

Post subject: Re: Leaks in the hull
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had no reactions so far.

Sail Tandem Island No P1787 in the Stockholm Archipelago (some 40,000 islands and rocks)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

boka1942 wrote:
Does the factory knows what is important. Fitting rudders with too short screws, allowing leaks in the hulls etc. Makes me wonder.
[/url]

Bo,

Be careful or you will be charged with blasphemy.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The leaks you found are surprising. I am interested to see what Hobie says after your warranty claim. I would be frustrated to pay that kind of money and find stuff like that. I hope they do something for you, maybe the dealer can do a professional repair for you?

As far as the screws and a few other QA issues that have come up, I imagine Hobie has taken note and "the beatings will continue until morale improves." :)

I found a loose screw nut in my hull when I received it, I checked all my nuts & bolts and never found anything missing, so I guess the guy just dropped one in when he was putting all the nuts on inside the hull. Cross my fingers :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just had to grin Jolly.... the extra proverbial screw rolling around inside your new toy. Enough to make anyone nervous and drive a poor new owner crazy trying to figure out just where it belongs. I know I would loose sleep over it...then again it doesn't take much for this insomniac. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure our USA warranty and factory will reply back to Europe soon with some resolution.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1) It is now 5 February 2011 and still no solution to the leakage. Remember that the Tandem Island left the factory in US with serious leaks. So far the Swedish dealer has not got any positive response from Hobie Europe.
2) I have not yet received the rudder modification kit.
3) I order tramps in July/August 2010. No sight of them so far.

At the moment there is ice on the water. I wonder whether I will have a non-leaking boat when the water is sailable later in the spring.

Has anybody in Europe seen any performance of Hobie Europe?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Contact Hobie Kayaks Europe direct.

http://www.hobie-kayak.com

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All through this forum I have read about leaking hatches and water in the hull. I have sailed for years on all types of boats and absolutely hate water in the boat.

In preparation for the Watertribe Everglades Challenge I installed a watertight bulkhead aft of the mast on my TI. But I could never get the compartment dry. I tried everything to seal the hatch and nothing worked.

Today I finally figured out where the water is coming from. It is NOT the hatch gasket. The two front bungee screw fittings are leaking!!! I have taken a short video on You-Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPfhDDOa2-0

I have 19 days until the race and will have to fix this problem my self. After reading this original post I suspect that this may be more common than people think. Since I installed the bulkhead I do not get water in the main hull. The twist hatches do drop some water when opened and I keep a sponge inside to dry any water.

I would like the group to do this simple test on their boat and let me know if you have the same problem...

Paul
DogsLife
http://luckydog-newport16.blogspot.com/

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Paul, best of luck in the Everglades Challenge -- we'll be watching your progress throughout the race!

If you haven't already figured out how to seal the leaks, you can try Yakaholic's PVC end-caps partly filled with 3M Scotchweld DP 8010 sleeved over the leaky nubs (wear protective gloves in case it overflows). Since it's a no stress repair, it might even work with silicone calk. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My dealer is in contact with Hobie Europe. Apparently some tool for the repair is on its way from America. I suppose the tool is for cutting new treads. How the cast of new plastic shall be made remains to be seen. I hope the leak will be sealed before the sailing season starts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I complained last August about the leaking TI hull. The matter is still not resolved. Hobie Europe say that they are waiting for some tool for the repair. Many people on this forum have praised Hobie for fixing manufacturing faults but I suppose this only applies to America. In Europe there seems to be no attention to the customers with faulty boats.

Last week my dealer received the Island Rudder Upgrade Kit. The cover letter from Doug Skidmore was dated September 29, 2010. Holland was suppose to send it direct to me but that did not happened. I picked it up today from the dealer. In the sealed bag there was no replacement gudgeon screws. Sweden is a metric country so it would have been nice to get the UNC screws as promised. I have now to find out the screw dimension and then try to find them in Sweden.

I have eventually received the tramps.

I wonder whether there will be any sailing in my TI this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

You may not need the longer screws. Some boats had correct screws.

SCREW 1/4-20 X 5/8 PHMS-P SS

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)