Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I modified the rudder on my TI by removing a bolt and using a 1/4 inch nylon bolt to hold the rudder in place. Makes steering a breeze.

The test came yesterday when I snagged an underwater line and the 1/4 inch nylon bolt broke in half releasing the rudder without any damage. It was then a simple matter of locking the down haul for the rudder in the jam cleat and heading for a shallow spot where I could get out and put another one in.

I have been worried about tearing up the back of my boat everytime I bolt the rudder in place so I just wanted to let people know it breaks when it needs to.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like an interesting idea, is this the rudder pin you are replacing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No this is where you remove one of the bolts that hold the rudder on then drill a 1/4 inch hole through it and the bracket behind it while holding the rudder down and in place. Then when you go sailing you manually pull the rudder down and fasten a 1/4 inch nylon bolt through it using a wing nut to hold it in place.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You got any pics?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go to http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=28871
which is the original thread where the idea came from. There are lots of pictures there.

I just wanted to let people know that the system works when you hit something.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry, good to know. I am still using this fix, works well. The past few times I have only used the normal up/down controls and they have worked fine as well. Then again winds have been light to moderate. If I know the winds are going to be over 15 mph I will use the lock down mod.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the update dosjers. I have to say I'm quite impressed with Akathritis, you, and few others that have diagnosed this problem and worked out a good temporary solution until Hobie finds a permanent fix. It's teamwork and communication from great people that are keeping us in the water at this point. Thanks to all of you! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ah, ok, pretty cool, glad it works, but I agree with the other comments, a good temporary fix, but seems like a PITA. :) Maybe not too bad on the TI, but kind of annoying to lay back there and put it in on an AI.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is a big PITA but it radically changes the feel of the steering. On my boat you really have to put a lot of pressure on the down line when you lock it in to keep the rudder in place. When you do this the rudder is much harder to move and it has weird spots where it doesn't want to stay. With the bolt in it's like a diferent boat. I can let go of the rudder control and it just stays where I left it and the boat keeps sailing nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I consider this strictly a temporary fix until Hobie comes out with a permanant one. Last thing I read on the Forum is that they are probably going to announce something this week.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto. Same experience as Jerry. Steering feels totally different via nut/bolt and I am much more confident when winds pick up. It is kind of scary right when winds pick up and you loose all steering.

Hobie is working on this problem and I am hopeful they come up with something that works for all us experiencing this issue.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hopefully Hobie will then take notice of the 'lockable' rudder idea and incorporate a new remote ability (as mentioned in other threads) since it clearly improves rudder control and position by not having to cleat the downline. Interesting results everyone... keep us posted!