Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have had our i14t for 2 years and enjoy it constantly. We have the sail kit and the large rudder as well.

The question I have is this: I'm a pretty big guy and when we are getting into the kayak, I let my wife board first. After she's in, I board at the rear. I consistently get water under my seat. The scuppers are closed but my seat is always wet. Not so bad in the summer but as the weather cools I would still like to go out and stay dry. Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong? I don't notice a lot of water getting in while we board?

I'm 215lbs and my bride is about 170lbs.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same boat and the same problem. I talked to the dealer at the MN State Fair today and he recommended getting a seat cushion life preserver to add clearance under the seat. Sounds reasonable and I plan on giving it a try. Hope it works.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You did not ask, but I will add a thought here to the rudder and sailing. I have the i14T and bought the larger rudder and placed it on holder. Then I bolted the smaller rudder to the larger.Gives the rudder a larger surface and a deeper bite. Be careful with the up lines on the rudder. I have to hand lift the rudder and not use the system with the plastic handle... This is not recommended by Hobie, but it does make a better sailing rig. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You mentioned you don't notice water getting in when you board, but we routinely get water in the i14t when out and about due to waves (motorboat wake especially) and paddling.

All in all, much less than any other kayak I've had, including a Necky. Probably because we do much less paddling...

If you're going to be in cold water, you should probably have a little cold water gear on just in case. I got dunked just yesterday...

True, I dived in intentionally to retrieve something that cost hundreds of dollars that went overboard by accident. But still... you get wet on small boats. (good thing it wasn't electronic :shock: )