Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've been using my surfboard leash to tether myself to my TI. But after a few solo outings in rough conditions I'm realizing how bad of a situation I would be in if my tether would fail. So I'm looking into a more fool-proof setup and considering rigging up a sailing tether and a jackline.

My PFD already has a rigger's belt laced into it. So I have the harnessing support that is strong enough to withstand the shock of falling and my wieght (197lbs) if needed. I'm thinking clipping on a 6' sailing tether and attaching it to a jackline running alongside my TI's hull. Haven't decided on where I should connect the ends of the jackline; but, I'm leaning towards using the handles on my TI if they're strong enough.

Any thoughts and advice?

Aloha,

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would think port-side rear-cockpit handle or the padeye just behind that seat.

Nine feet (prestretch) of line seems right. You could leave it coiled just behind the seat. Routed under your arm, it should stay out of the way for steering and fishing,

(Wish I could be your wingman,.. are you on our local forum yet?)

BTW, no one to my knowledge has done a live "man overboard" drill with the TI yet.

C'mon slackers! Tick-Tock! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I dumped mine when an aka popped out and the ama folded in. Doesn't that count?

2008 AI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good story - but 'fraid not.

I'm talkin about waterskiing solo in shark-infested waters, behind an unreefed, unmanned TI.

The kind of thing hollgi does just for giggles. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cliffs2yak, do you have the stainless quickrelease safety harness yet?

Mucho Dinero.

Please show us pictures (and receipts) when you are all setup.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nohuhu, when you come over to Maui, I'll take you out sailing, at least part way, and then we'll find out! :lol: :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

From my earlier post today on another thread about tethers/leashes....

A word of caution about leashes and tethers of all types. From this weekend. I was passing thru a small cut wash out on a sand island. As I passed thru to the other side I came upon a VERY fast moving current. The other side had a steep drop off to 10-12ft. There was a boat just abot 10-15ft down current from me anchored up with about 50ft of line out from about a 7ft high off the water bow. I miss judged the speed of the current and got swept under the anchor line. All rods where in the up-right position and one went over and the leash hung up in the anchor line. As you can guess a line around a a static anchor line or any unmovable object in a current will cause it to slide down the object/line. It was pulling the yak and me down. Then the paddel leash did the same. I was hanging on the anchor rope to keep the whole shabang from going down. I rolled out I put my hand down to my ankle for what I hand been trained to do my whole Navy career. Go for your dive knife and do an emergency cut away. """Oh wait smart guy you just bought a new Leatherman,, you don't need that dive knife anymore.""" Morale of this event was practice emergency action drills and always use the SAME course of action. It needs to be on auto reflex. If you leash, then have the emergency cut away IMMEDIATLEY ready for action, as in slash and its done. No unfolding or fumbling. It needs to be on auto reflex. And this holds for wiring or fighting big fish close aboard, and doubley for being solo. Be ready to zip it. In Naval Special Warfare I was thought this,,,"2 is 1 and 1 is none." Which means if you have two of something it only counts as having one as one of them is sure to fail or be lost. And if you only have one of something,,, well,,,,

I can only imagine the cluster if this had happened in my AI. I'm still doing mental drills in the backyard on the AI about it all. Anyway the Leash,,,,it needs to be FULLY worked into the plan. FULLY :evil:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dosjers,

Got close to dumping mines when my aka lock failed. Whew! Almost got close to dumping again while booking it outside of the Hilo breakwall. Didn't realize 10-20mph winds, 6'+ swells, and tramps were enough to cause a fishing rigged TI to catch air. :shock: Freaked out a bit and immediately released the main sail. It would've been fun if I could have controlled the lift a bit. Being a newby sailor, best I reserve this move for the pro's. :) Best I keep things slow...for now :)

Nohuhu,

Don't have a quick release $afety harne$$. But I just purchased a sailing lanyard with a quick release SS clip for less than $43 from ebay. I'll post updates when I'm done. Always looking for a wingman here on the far east side of the Big Island. Drop me a message when you're around these parts and we can go for a quick run outside the breakwall. I'm also on the local Aquahunters forum.

Recolon,

Nohuhu and you might be the first to pull off the first TI el-rollo :)

sammy,

Thanks for your valuble inputs. I'm trying to visualize the worst that could happen. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to do a controlled test of my new tether system with other fellow yakers. And I hear you on the knife, good to have a full tanged version easily accessible.

c2y

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

C2Y,
Honestly in all my years of experience, both as a student and instructor. You can and should visualize and even board diagram. But nothing,,,NOTHING beats semi controlled emergency action drills. You just can't replicate it. You won't cover all things,,,but you CAN eliminate a lot. Get some buds who are comfortable with their water skills for rescue and do it. Surf/Wind/Current/Temps/Biologics, etc. Bottom line,, be prepared to throw everything in the sea/surf, yet save your life. It was hard for me to resign myself to this truth,,hell I paid a butt ton of money for my gear, easily on the 12 grand at this point for all my rods and gear. But once I thought about my Navy days it was differnt,, cuse I paid for nothing. I get that now and thats what I'm ready for. And as in diving,,,nothing beats a swim buddy,,,or a yak buddy. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good advice all! Reminder to self: get a sharp knife that can be strapped to PFD in easy to reach position 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, I accept. Can't wait to get dunked on your TI. I'm honored.

But could you sail over and pick me up? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cliffs2yak, if I survive Maui, I'll be there. :lol: Have family in Hilo, so I will try hooking up sometime.

For the $$, I prefer a good long velcro surf leash. Low tech and requires no knife in a pinch. Though I carry one. I realized I should have 2 though.

Also realized that my awesome VHF is not tethered to my person yet, and should be. I do not trust those plastic belt clips.

Us guys on Oahu will be looking seriously at your solution though. We are pushing the AI/TI range in open water here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I met a woman once who told me she was a widow. It turns out, she was sailing with her husband and he fell overboard. He had a safety line on but she did not know anything about driving the boat. The boat kept going and he drowned because he was pulled under by the safety line.

Maybe I'm missing something but as I see it there are two scenarios if you fall overboard one is that the boat stops in which case the safety line really didn't do much except save you a couple of strokes to swim back to it or it keeps going in which case you have to either pull the quick release or cut the line.

So, what is the reason you want to wear one?

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Like I was saying,,, have your mind made up to ditch all the gear and save your own life. PFD might have helped. I'm not sure of the conditions but in the background I don't see white caps. There is a setup that I encountered in my big boat transiting a pass. Its called Standing waves. It can occur when wind and currents are opposed in an inlet/pass. It was flat calm outside the pass, but as I continued in the waves got hugh in the space of about 100yds. Before I knew it I was in 12-15fters and it almost capsized me. Once you get in it there is no turning back around even if the waves are breaking over the stern, cuse you'll get rolled. It looks like that was what was attempted here,,, to turn outbound and get out of the pass. :?: :!:

The captain passed away today. RIP.. The first link pictures are very telling and frightening, note picture 17-20. The second is the is short post article.

http://pnyr.big1059.com/cc-common/galle ... _id=249965

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/ma...in-896503.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

sammy,

My condolences to the captain's family and friends...

Nohuhu,

Pulled on my surfboard leash like my life depended on it, at it failed. :shock: It showed lots of fray and wear so it was almost expected. But, it got me thinking that we're exceeding a surfboard leash's design limits. I like the simplicity of using a surfboard leash and it worked well during my paddle kayak runs. But an AI/TI is much heavier and can sail away from you. After a few close calls, it's about time I upgrade.

I'll take a video of my surfboard leash failing this weekend and post. Probably wouldn't happen on a new leash. But if you've been using an old surfboard leash, good to test.

c2y