Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flexi-Boom Design
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm certainly up for a trip. Long overdue. How bout either Terrigal to Maitland Bay and return ( that always interested me ), or Fingal Bay and out around the islands.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Funny you should mention that Chris. The last time I used it I was pondering something of that sort. I had thought about a board on both sides that would be on a round pipe arrangement to act as a connection point, and some arrangement to raise the boards in shallow water...more or less would lie dormant along side the boat when in shallow water or not needed when I'm not using the sail. Without the ability to draw my thoughts here, I hope my explanation might be vivid enough for you to get my drift...no pun intended. Extra gear for sure, but I bought the sail kit hoping I could get out on longer trips. 6 miles and I am worn to a frazzle. I'm not as young as some of you guys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, I'm still holding out for Terrigal to Broken Bay one way (plus car shuttle). Fingal Bay sounds good though 8).

Ron, a friend of mine got a Pacific Adventure sail for his little paddle kayak and rigged up a board swivelling on a horizontal bolt through the gunwale which he could just swing up or down as required. He reckons it works quite well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Slaughter, I'm still holding out for Terrigal to Broken Bay one way (plus car shuttle). Fingal Bay sounds good though 8).

Me too! :wink:
I've been giving the Terrigal trip a bit more thought and have come with a better plan I think? We can easily leave our second car at Wagstaffe or Hardys Bay and then go on to meet everyone else at The Haven Terrigal. We then sail back down the coast to the car, leave someone with the empty kayaks while the rest go back and get their cars. Hardys Bay is much closer to Terrigal for the car shuffle than Half Tide Rocks at Ettalong and not that much further sailing distance wise. Our second car would fit 5 so 4 could get their cars OK.
Thoughts?

Ron,
What you are describing sounds very much like a lee board. Check out Soyjers mod in this post
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10831

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, Stringy, if you ever consider a weekend at Fingal Bay etc, I'd like to join in!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris / Stringy - Sounds like a plan then. Will we start a Terrigal post in the 'Social & Events' section then ?

Max - Sure thing. Great to have aboard. We had a great time up the bay last time and we we be 1 down next time as Mickey will be in Europe. I just paced out on Google Maps that to sail out from Fingal, around the 3 islands and back is about 27k's. There goes the day. I might make a weekend or 2 days of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I've been giving the Terrigal trip a bit more thought and have come with a better plan I think? We can easily leave our second car at Wagstaffe or Hardys Bay and then go on to meet everyone else at The Haven Terrigal. We then sail back down the coast to the car, leave someone with the empty kayaks while the rest go back and get their cars. Hardys Bay is much closer to Terrigal for the car shuffle than Half Tide Rocks at Ettalong and not that much further sailing distance wise. Our second car would fit 5 so 4 could get their cars OK.
Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea Stringy. It would be fairly straightforward if you brought your TI plus a crew member, so we had one more body than the number of boats.
The only negative I can think of about Wagstaffe or Hardy's Bay is that I have once had difficulty getting through the channel at Half Tide Rocks, when the tide was running strongly out (same trip where I got stuck at The Rip), so the conditions there are one more variable to consider. I've done it lots of other times with no problem at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would someone mind attaching a google maps image to show the proposed route. I'm a bit lost.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here you are mate: Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter, love to do a "Fingal and Beyond" trip. Especially in company! Rather than hijack this thread, I'm starting a new one in "Island... Adventures / Sailing". Pls join in!

Link: Fingal and Beyond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Chris. Now I've got it. Looks good, I'm happy with that. I don't know that area at all so it will be good to experience a new spot. Are you think'n of bring'n the TI Stringy ? I'm pretty good for any day, weekend or weekday so I'm happy to fit in with the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Are you think'n of bring'n the TI Stringy ?

More than likely. It would depend on who else is available.
Rather than hijack this thread I've started the trip post in Social and Events. :)
viewtopic.php?f=74&p=123834#p123834

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Slaughter wrote:
Hi Jerry. So is it called a barber hauler when only one end is connected to the sail and the other is free to hold ? And when both ends are fixed, as this is, it's a boom. Well that's the defininitions I keep coming up with !

As far as strength goes, it's just a guess, but I'm hoping that if it does fail the bungee will hold it together. The larger diameter rods seemed a bit too stiff.

Yeah, we use Stauff brackets for attaching hydraulic pipes at work and I've now used then all over the AI for attaching various stuff like camera mounts etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.au.stauff.com/fileadmin/Down ... nglish.pdf

just seen this post with the stauff clamps,
could you use these with rammounts to fix rod holders etc?
if so what size?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, I don't know how the rammounts attach. Have a look at the range of sizes and different designs on their website.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like this better then using a notched paddle. I saw this before but forgot about it.