Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Kind of an open ended question and thanks in advance for any information. I am picking up a getaway in the ft. myers area next week. It has a trailer but no beach wheels. I've got limited sailing experience.

I would appreciate any advice for the best way to get it on and off the trailer - is it something two people can easily do? Good places to ease into this in the ft. Myers area. Once you get it off of the trailer, how difficult is it to transition to sailing? Do you sometimes need to use an oar?

Thanks again for anyone kind enough to assist an idiot :D

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Make sure the drainplugs are in tight. I back the trailer to the water and simply push the boat off the trailer and into the water.

I unload it by myself so two people is a breeze.

I really haven't had to use the oar. Assuming that wind is blowing on shore. Unfurl the jib so that you don't weather into irons. Mainsheet loose. Jump on the back as you push the boat out. Drop the rudder, unlocked, into the water so you can steer it somewhat. Tighten mainsheet and accelerate. Once you're in deeper water, lock both rudders, adjust sails, get favorite beverage out of cooler. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just did this - two people are a piece of cake, depending on trailers. Mine has double rollers plus vertical outside rollers - it was tougher to get the boat lined up on the trailer than moving it around.

Get it launched is nothing.

Hope you had a ball - we sure did with our new baby today!

I've got a fair amount of experience in a Snipe class boat - raced my boat as a kid on a small lake against much smaller fry (Butterfly, Sunfish). On this boat, things happen FAR faster, plus it moves easily 2-3 times as quick as my old Snipe class.

It's probably been 10 years since I've been out - gotten back into sailing again and having a blast!