Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a shorline of an inland lake which is a mix of gravel and small rocks--I would like pull the hobie 16 up on the shoreline at night and find i actually have to lift the entire boat and carry it up a shallow incline--my idea is to get a 16 foot run of of 12"inch diameter pvc pipe and and cut it in halves--then mount the halves on some treated lumber as bases--then pull the hulls up on the pvc as guides and protectors?--this way the protector units are portable and somewhat light in weight--any other ideas or opionions on this approach--am interested in other methods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same issue on Lake Michigan, I have a 14 Turbo. I just penied up and got a Seitech dolly it actually costs more than the boat, it was about $515, the boat was $500, but it really has worked out well. I have a sand and rock beach, all depends on what the waves leave. I also have an incline, but I find with some effort I can roll it myself the 40 feet up to my rock wall. I can also get the boat on the dolly when it's beached by myself, help is always better but I know I can if I have to.
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Last edited by Scott on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same issue where I sail. It is full of small rocks and horrible shale. I have a Getaway with Rotomolded hulls. The first time I pulled up on shore, I peeled off a millimeter thick 6 foot long strip of plastic from the bottom of my hull. OUCH! I tried to come up with a fancy idea as to how I will make a rolling, hoisting, launching, floating, device to prevent my hulls from more damage. So I went to Home Depot and purchased 6, 10 foot long 2x4's and some screws. Thats it! This is how I assembled it.

- - -
| | |
- - -
| | |
- - -

Just connect the dots and you can see how it would look. I thought about pvc pipe too, but used wood since it was easier to put together and looked better on the beach than pvc. Wood is also softer and is super slippery when wet. All I do is slide one end of the skid under the rear hulls and drag the boat up onto it. If I want to plull the boat far up onto shore, I just use 2 more 2x4's seperately and put them under the hulls as I pull it past the skid. Once I pull it onto the two seperate 2x4's, I can pull out the skid and set it aside. When it comes time to launch the boat, I just do the opposite. The total cost of my investment? under $20. :lol:

Scott

Post subject: Here's another idea.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too have somewhat the same problem on the shores of Lake Erie, but it is all sand. I need to haul the boat up on to the beach about 45 feet so the waves don't wash my boat away during storms, and I am too cheap to spend 5 big bills on a set of cat trax. Plus, it is usually just me trying to haul the boat up. Today though, I thought I would try something new. I took my 36 foot aluminum extension ladder and separated it into 2 sections. I then slid each section under the hulls, and the boat slid up the beach like it was on butter. Very little friction. When I got to the end of my ladder (no pun intended), I just repositioned them, and slid 'er up again. Total cost......free (unless you need to buy a ladder).

I too thought about the PVC half-pipe idea, but then I couldn't figure out how to slice the tube in half. Let me know if you try it, and how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use two 10 ft long 4 inch diamater PVC pipes to roll my 16 yp a sandy. shelly, rocky beach in Long Island sound, it works well, however 3 pipes might work a bit better as you wont have to reposition as much. Cherap too. $15 a pop