Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib Car Position
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This probably is a stupid newbie question but hey, I have to ask. Where should your jib cars be? I know you move them in and out depending on your position relative to the wind; I just don't know when they should be in or out. Is the idea the same as the main traveler position? Honestly sailing thus far I've just put them in place on the beach and forgotten about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you ask a stupid question, you may feel stupid; if you don't ask a stupid question, you remain stupid.

However, this isn't a stupid question.

If you are not racing or otherwise trying to go as fast as possible, leave them 3/4 of the way inboard.

If you are racing, from my experience:

Upwind, pull them as inboard as possible without backwinding the main. If the slot (the space between the jib and the main) is too small, wind going through the slot will indent the main the wrong way, ruining your sail efficiency. Start with the travellers in, then put them out until the main stops indenting at the luff, and then put them out a little more than that. The amount you need to do this depends mostly on the speed of the wind - high winds will require a bigger slot than low winds.

Downwind, travellers all the way outboard. If winds are very light, you won't have to bother with this, as the crew will probably be holding the jib at the blocks or the clew to reduce the weight on the sail.

Adjustable travellers with the blocks, cleat and line make this much easier, though you will still have to let up on the jib sheet to be able to adjust. Spring-pin travellers are trickier to adjust since it requires the crew to be right there. Unless you want to seriously kill speed (or the wind is very light and your crew is over on the leeward side anyway), you'll have to do all adjusts on the tacks.

Anyone else? Thoughts?

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tjp, You covered it very well. I also don't believe in stupid questions.

For those wanting on the wire adjustment, you can make old, pin type jib cars adjustable. Pull the pins up and secure a bungee between the two pins, this will keep the cars in the center for upwind. Install a small cheek block on each corner casting. Inboard of, and aft of, the check block (but still on the corner casting) install a one way cleat (they make them port and starboard styles, need one of each). Attach a small control line to the car, route around the cheek block, through the cleat and tie off on the opposite side shroud (sidestay). Makes it a little easier for the crew to adjust when tacking (as opposed to pulling up the pins, just use the cleat) and also fine tune adjustment on the trapeze.