Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I verified my rudder toe-in this weekend as ~3/8" (fore 83-5/8"; aft 83-1/4").

What are the ramifications of having that much (beyond the recommended 1/8")? I raked my rudders under 1-5/8" to help her point better and it really worked well. But, I still seem to have what seems like too much weather helm.

Even though the intention of toeing them in is to help reduce weather helm, would that much toe-in cause create a sort of rebound and cause MORE weather helm?

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Even though the intention of toeing them in is to help reduce weather helm, would that much toe-in cause create a sort of rebound and cause MORE weather helm?

Rudder toe-in does not affect weather helm. The purpose of setting the proper rudder toe-in is to reduce drag by allowing the windward rudder to track straight through the water while the leeward rudder is sailed at a slight angle to produce lift. If your rudders are toed in excessively or if they're toed out, they will generate a lot of excess drag.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks srm, I should have written that more accurately. Haste makes waste. You're right of course, toe-in does not cause weather helm, hello.

Also, I think I've run across some conflicting information: Should the toe-in be IN at the REAR of the rudder? That is, wider at the leading edge, narrower at the trailing edge? Which edge is toeing-in?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The distance between the leading edges of the rudders should be less than the distance between the trailing edges.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok then, and mine are completely out of whack by about 1/2" in the wrong direction. Unless I have the entire assembly on backwards.

Thanks srm, that helps a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jman6631 wrote:
Ok then, and mine are completely out of whack by about 1/2" in the wrong direction. Unless I have the entire assembly on backwards.

That happens! Tillers should be slanted inboard looking from back to front. If they're not, just pull the rudder pins and flop the whole schmutz around, then set toe. Consider adding a piece of electrical tape or something to the staboard end of the crossbar as a reminder.

This is probably not your problem, though.....I think it would cause much more serious toe-out (like 2"). It'll turn your cat into a dog, too! (Don't ask!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok I won't....what?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also be careful about setting your rudders up to the point where they will steer without you. More than one cat sailor has fallen off their boat to watch it sail away without them! If the boat has weather helm it will at least head up at some point so you can get back to your ride.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

rattle 'n hum wrote:
That happens! Tillers should be slanted inboard looking from back to front. If they're not, just pull the rudder pins and flop the whole schmutz around, then set toe. Consider adding a piece of electrical tape or something to the starboard end of the crossbar as a reminder.

Just FYI, Jerome - "schmutz" is Yiddish for "little dirt". Proper use would be something like, "Hand me the scrub brush - there's some schmutz in the non-skid I need to clean out."

The other Yiddish word that's often misused is "putz", as in "I was putzing around the garage today, working on the boat."

"Putz" is a noun describing a very specific part of the male anatomy. Now you know why it's funny.

/been married into a huge Jewish family for almost 30 years. Some of my wife's relatives can speak conversational Yiddish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
rattle 'n hum wrote:
That happens! Tillers should be slanted inboard looking from back to front. If they're not, just pull the rudder pins and flop the whole schmutz around, then set toe. Consider adding a piece of electrical tape or something to the starboard end of the crossbar as a reminder.

Just FYI, Jerome - "schmutz" is Yiddish for "little dirt". Proper use would be something like, "Hand me the scrub brush - there's some schmutz in the non-skid I need to clean out."

The other Yiddish word that's often misused is "putz", as in "I was putzing around the garage today, working on the boat."

"Putz" is a noun describing a very specific part of the male anatomy. Now you know why it's funny.

/been married into a huge Jewish family for almost 30 years. Some of my wife's relatives can speak conversational Yiddish.

What a schmuck! :)

(Is that better?)

OK...so I sometimes misuse Yiddish words, but I WAS named after the Jewish doctor who delivered me!