Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got a AI and I must come in through the surf. I'm trying to figure out the best way with wind and with no wind by trial & error. Does amybody have this figured out?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi John

I've asked much the same question in the first category on this AI/TI forum.

I live on an open surf beach and I'd really love to be able to sail home, but after experiencing an Oasis in moderate surf, the bigger surf break and a Tri configuration can only spell grief.

I think the only solution is to come in at a slower pace than the waves i.e. let them crash and go through you as you keep your rudder and fins down for as long as possible, with possibly a sea anchor deployed.

I'm even thinking for a controlled (sort of) landing is to tie a bow line on, abandon ship and 'swim/walk' the boat in through the waves, keeping the bow (via the line of course) pointed straight out through the break with you as a sea anchor. As the sets allow you can let more line out or pull the boat toward you as needed (back out through a breaking wave).

I just can't see a pretty way of landing through open surf.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have beached my AI a few times for fun but use the inlets to go in and out mostly. What worked for me is to watch the break sets closely and count them and come in like mad under sail and pedal on the last one so you only have one breaking over you backwards and then the lull to get in the rest of the way. Snatch leashed drive out at last minute and furl and cleat while jumping off the tramps to grab the bow handle and pull her on the beach. I would not want to be in the waves in the water pulling it in or pulled behind it either sounds like a disaster waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:34 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You might be able to deploy a sea anchor with multiple small chutes in series and a trip line. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 am 
Site Admin

I agree on the wave timing and coming in on the back of a smaller wave. I do the same unless trying to surf.

Watch the sets before heading out. Count the timing between larger sets and gauge their size. There is normally a lull after each set. Same on the way in... hover at the outside and start in on the back of the last of the bigger wave set. You should be able to get through the impact area this way.

If a wave catches you from behind... dagger and fins up can help you avoid a hard turn ending up broadside to the waves.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is coming in on the TI any different than coming in on a 18ft cat?
I have had experience with the cat but will be getting my Ti soon and I do play in the surf a little.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Admin

The cat likely had more bow, so could handle the transom rise a bit better when a wave comes from behind. Also a bit more speed, but at least with the AI and TI... you have power in the MirageDrives that you didn't on a cat. On the cat, you were at the mercy of the wind.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt,

I will be a little more couscous then! I may have to learn to sail all over again :D :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I agree on the wave timing and coming in on the back of a smaller wave. I do the same unless trying to surf.

Watch the sets before heading out. Count the timing between larger sets and gauge their size. There is normally a lull after each set. Same on the way in... hover at the outside and start in on the back of the last of the bigger wave set. You should be able to get through the impact area this way.

If a wave catches you from behind... dagger and fins up can help you avoid a hard turn ending up broadside to the waves.

I fish out of LaJolla frequently on my Revo and PA. IMHO, these yaks while superior to others are not intended for beach entry/exit when the surf is up (over 2-3). I have been doing the beach entry's for years and have donated, even when strapped down quite a few of my personal resources to the sea gods! I now have a TI and will not attempt to launch in the surf. I think it is an expensive accident waiting to happen. Not enough bow lift, etc. get sideway's in this beast and your done. Just my .02. Anyone out there interested in a brandnew 2010 Red TI? It's only been used twice.....just not my cup of tea! Make ya a hell-of-a-deal. If you are interesed, email me at: [email protected]. Pic's available.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I live in south TX and intend to do some fishing in the Port Aransas area. Tyically the beaches are shallow (less than 2 feet) out to 100 yards are so. I'm VERY familiar with kayaking the surf on a SOT or in a Sea kayak, I do it for fun. the only two things that concern me about the AI is the propensity to dive rather than rise over a wave, If I get lifted from the rear in that shallow water the nose will probably hit the bottom and I will be ammo in an adventure catapult. And secondly the Amas, getting turned sideways and having the full weight of the boat come down on one would be bad.

Typically if Im on my SOT and have lots of gear and fish on board and don't feel like pushing my luck, I just stay pointed out to sea and let the waves gradually push me back in, a few quick strokes towards breaking waves keeps me from getting surfed against my will.

Going out is never a problem, I just wait for a lull and hammer it, go as fast as I can, I might run face first into a breaker, but it wont be many. My philosophy is to get out as fast as possible, you might eat a few waves but your exposure time in the danger zone will be short. VS people I see sitting out there in surf purgatory trying to pick their way out slowly, your just waiting for something to go wrong by doing that.

My plan for the AI was to strap the mast down, leave the amas IN, walk it out till I could use the mirage and just hammer out past the breakers.. and on coming back in, same thing, anchor out past the breakers, take down and secure the mast, bring the amas in, and then stay pointed out and slowly let the waves bring me back in, a few kicks here and there to keep from surfing, jump out when its knee deep and walk her in.

I see it as a pretty safe way of doing it, of course Ive never actually done it so perhaps there is a fundamental flaw in my plan I'm not seeing... Anyone else try it this way?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:59 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Here's what Roadrunner is talking about. A smaller variation of what international racing (sail) boats are now using in heavy seas.

A guy down under used one to land in three foot surf.

Cavaet. I have never tested the one I made below.