Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Listing to port?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Spent six hours sunday on Castaic Lagoon, enjoying the beautiful weather and sadly presenting very little threat to the population of fish. So while I got skunked on the bass, it still made for a pleasant day.

While out there though, I had a lot of time to ponder something that has always bothered me about my Outback. Ever since the very first launch, it has shown a tendency to list slightly to port, by ten degrees or so. The boat can be fully loaded or completely empty, makes no difference. It hasn't been a big problem, but is an annoyance, and I constantly find myself trying to level the boat by shifting my weight to the right, which tends to ruin my pedaling rhythm. When the chop starts up, the listing makes me feel less stable on the water...probably a largely psychological effect, but it feels real.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you a left hand dresser?

Just kidding!!

My Mirage Tandem is the same, and I have to keep adjusting my position to the right. I guess in our subconscious, we THINK we are sitting in the middle, but physics soon sorts that out.

I bet the boat sits true when empty. It's us, my friend, we're sitting a little bit crooked.

Wolfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lone Wolf wrote:
Are you a left hand dresser?

You know, I'd actually be pretty happy if I was built in such a way that this was a possibility! (Although I probably wouldn't have as much time to fish.)

Actually, the boat lists even when empty. I noticed it immediately the first time I slid the hull into the murky waters of Big Bear Lake. It was totally empty....no seat, mirage drive, paddle or anything, just the hull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mmmmm....

If it lists when empty, there is definitely something awry.

Does the bottom of the hull look deformed, like it's been in the sun, or something?

I cannot imagine it's a Roto Mold problem, because you would need LOTS of extra plastic in one area to give the imbalance. I'm thinking a misshapen hull, or something similar.

Really though, I'm fresh out of ideas, sorry.

I am sure someone here will narrow it down.

Wolfie

Post subject: Listing?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Listing?

Most likely an asymetrical hull or distortion caused in storage or shipping. You can likely pop back out with pressure and heat. Then cool.

I could be plastic that is thicker on one side. If the mold sat one side down longer maybe?

Having to sit to one side is certainly not right though. I guess the asymetrical bottom shape.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Try checking your seat adjustment straps. If one side is more forward, it will shift your body weight to the other side. In any event, try compensating with the straps -- they should help re-center your weight. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Try leaving your wallet in the truck... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Noalias wrote:
Try leaving your wallet in the truck... :shock:
I tried wearing my wallet on the starboard side, but after buying an Outback with the fishing package and equipping it with a fishfinder & battery, roof rack, rod holders, sailkit, fenders, rod/paddle/bow leashes, cooler and crate, there is no longer sufficient cash/ballast to right the ship. :?

I've got the yak suspended in my garage (deck side up, supported by two straps towards the middle and two slightly slack safety cables at bow and stern) so I can get a real good look at the hull...if it's deformed, it's sure not obvious. There is a slight flattening between the rear scuppers (from leaving the boat for a few days on the #$#!! insufficiently padded dolly!!!) but everything appears symmetrical.

Post subject: Listing to one side
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:59 pm 
I had a similar problem when pedalling, and found that trying to lean over to compensate was very difficult for a prolonged period.

But, when I'm paddleing the listing disapears completely.

I concluded that the the listing was due to my posture in the more rigid pedalling position.

Also, when I'm not in the kayak, the side on which the kayak lists depends on which side I store the paddle - so the kayaks balance is pretty even.

Finally, its worth noting that Ive peddled whilst dressed to the left and to the right - I can confirm that the above holds true irrespective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sounds like it's not a large problem!

Post subject: Listing
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Listing, oh my! I noticed a similar problem while pedaling my (wife's) Sport during GAFFE I. But my listing was to STARBOARD! :mrgreen:

Sooo-what is the significance of this--is it Coriolis Force working its mysterious properties, is it a function of the gravitational attraction of the moon on Earth during spring tides, is it my seat pegs not being inserted the same on each side, or just my usual sloppy posture?

My vote goes to the latter two possibilities. I would correct my sitting position, but would soon find I was listing again, but only when I was not fighting a fish! With a fish on, I didn't have the time or inclination to think, or even worry about any perceived list. So, as long as I wasn't taking water over the gunwales, I forgoddaboudit. Sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BLL... I also have noticed a slight list when using my Outback but it's minor. I say Don't worry about it. But you're right about the psycological effect so try to focus on your fishing or whatever else you're doing. Alternately consume large amounts of adult beverage and it will go away! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Noalias wrote:
BLL... I also have noticed a slight list when using my Outback but it's minor. I say Don't worry about it. But you're right about the psycological effect so try to focus on your fishing or whatever else you're doing. Alternately consume large amounts of adult beverage and it will go away! :twisted:
I think that's probably good advice. Well, I like to wait until I'm home or back to the campsite before reaching for the adult beverage...but otherwise, good advice!

I was just curious if anybody else had the same problem. It's a very minor issue, more of an annoyance than a problem. It certainly doesn't keep me from enjoying the kayak. It's a great product, and I can't say enough good things about it.