Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falling out of the boat!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No kidding, I'm gonna tell you it happened. :oops: I can hear all of you saying...he's really not going to tell us all how damm dumb he is, is he? Well, considering I never thought you could tip a PA so easily, I figured I might spare some of you who might be in a new PA the embarrassment of having it happen to you. I was lucky, that it was summer and water temp was 80+.
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm fishing in a reservoir around boat docks fishing for pan fish. I got in too close to a boat motor, and had a rod in my right hand (which also went in the drink) and considering the boat motor I was attempting to stay away from was on my right, I "reached across my body with my left hand to push against the motor, and just got my body off center enough that I just pitched "ass over teakettle" into the water. It happened so fast, I can hardly believe it happened. Thankfully, when I first got the yak, I had gone out and tried the method suggested to get back in the PA and found I didn't have the upper body strength, so looking for a better/easier way to reboard, I went to the stern, and was able to ease myself back on the boat.
I know you all are cracking up at how dumb can anyone be, just to be telling you all about it. Believe it or not, the boat did not turtle...it just kinda popped right back in the upright position after my butt was out of it. Didn't even take on any water that I could tell.....other than the water my wet and soggy clothes added.
Ok so that my sorry tale, and I will slink back into the forum now and wait for all your "kind" retorts...like I really expect any kind retorts :lol:

Ok as kind of an aside...anyone want to comment on wearing waders in the PA after my sad tale? I am concerned it might not have been quite as funny a story had the water been cold, and in chest waders. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I feel your pain. Yes, I did laugh but I feel your pain. I fell out this summer in Malibu X-Factor and I can still recall the moment it happened. I kept thinking, "I just fell out of the kayak... NOW WHAT?" Having moved up to the PA, I was praying I would never read or see this especially, in a Lake... I am glad you are ok. Stay Safe!

Tom "Flash" Shriver
US Army Golden Knights (Retired)
Hobie Pro Angler
Wilderness Systems Commander 140
Malibu X-Factor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't laugh or even crack a smile; accidentally falling in the water can be serious business.

The TI trampoline buckle broke for Cindy a number of weeks back and she almost went completely in the drink as well - and she *can't swim*. Fortunately she was able to keep her grasp on the aka and swing back up out of the water onto the main hull - and yes, she always wears a PFD.

Good to hear that you returned without any major problems.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

great no harm came of your dunking. one thing I did not see mentioned is if you had a PFD on or not?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any kayak, if you get your nose over the outside of the sides, will flip or you can fall out.

I have taken "newbies" out offshore and had them flip two or three times in succession while anchoring up. I am, always, amazed..........but it has happened.

Glad you are ok!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

glad your here to tell the tale :) I have been there done that in chest waders in 38 degree water! :shock: I would like to recommend a stirrup, it makes getting to any boat especially a PA much easier. Putting foot in stirrup is like a shallow water re-entry.
http://www.northwater.com/html/products ... irrup.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for all you "kind" responses...and yes I had the pfd on...it didn't/I didn't inflate it, as I didn't feel the need at the moment. I still had a hold on the yak.
Remy, I just went to look at the stirrup. That is an interesting thought. Considering we don't paddle the PA, you have any thoughts as to how you might use it on the PA? I'd like to think I won't be dumb enough to make the same mistake again..and was in the water yesterday, and a couple of times I started to "over reach" and reminded myself that was what I had done to get wet the last time.
Thanks again for the advise and words of encouragement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wasn't in a PA when this happened, but overbalancing to one side while landing a bull red in 12' of mid-50's water, I turtled my Frenzy when the fish flipped in the cockpit and flipped off to the side i was overbalanced on. I was wearing the cheap vinyl chest waders with stocking feet available from most Academy's for about $8 or so. No suspenders, just the tie string and PFD on over the waders. Was able to reboard without any problems, and when I finally paddled in at the end of the day, had less than a gallon of water inside the waders.

Altho I wouldn't recommend wearing waders in fast moving waters or water with lots of debris (trees/rocks/etc) as there is just to many variables for disaster there. But as far as standing/deep/slow water, waders are a great alternative to staying dry and semi-warm while out fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have to admit to recently flipping my Pro Angler in the Gulf of Mexico on surf re-entry. It wasn't even extreme waves, but there were some big rollers coming and I caught a big one. Before I even knew what was happening, over I went...........came up and got hit again by the yak and went down again, losing my "fishing" glasses (my old pair). Got a good knot on my temple and of course got everything wet and all had to be cleaned.

Took 45 trips offshore last year and never flipped. Flipped my first trip of this year. When dealing with surf waves, I learn a long time ago to never say never.

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 5088&hilit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As much as I love my Pro-Angler, it's my least favorite for fighting large breakers. It would much rather plow through the waves than to ride over them. It also tends to drain slowly and may take 15-20 seconds to drain allowing the next breaker to take you out! I much more prefer my Outback for anything breaking over 3 ft high. It will also "lean" much better when riding a wave back in to shore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron Papworth wrote:
Thank you for all you "kind" responses...and yes I had the pfd on...it didn't/I didn't inflate it, as I didn't feel the need at the moment. I still had a hold on the yak.
Remy, I just went to look at the stirrup. That is an interesting thought. Considering we don't paddle the PA, you have any thoughts as to how you might use it on the PA? I'd like to think I won't be dumb enough to make the same mistake again..and was in the water yesterday, and a couple of times I started to "over reach" and reminded myself that was what I had done to get wet the last time.
Thanks again for the advise and words of encouragement.

Hi, if you go to youtube.com & type in Hobie Pro Angler KFN. It shows them testing out a PA, and re-entering it. Did your boat act this stable when you re-entered it? Just wondering! PA-Kettle