All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Buy or Fix!
Buy! 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
Fix! 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11
 Post subject: Worth repairing??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My hobie 16 has an enormous area of delamination. it goes from just in front of the front pylon to almost the very tip of the bow. is it worth reparing? or should I just find someone parting out and buy a new hull?
I WANNA TRY THE POLL FEATURE!!!!!!!!

#56 Gonzo Nationals

Post subject: Re: Worth repairing??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

That is a very extensive delamination. Since your day... and maybe your life can be ruined from a bow failure... not worth the risk.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
A couple of considerations-

Availability of spare hulls or entirely new boat in your area?
- If you can get another better hull for $100 or entire boat for $300 (craigslist, etc.) then it's probably not worth it.
What is reliability of Git Rot repair if done correctly?
- Does repair add significant weight forward- unbalancing an already sensitive area?
Do you have ca$h to just buy a newer boat? (I wish I did... :roll: )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just use some gorilla glue or some other inexpensive industrial grade adhesive. Don't waste all your money on the yacht parts. Inject the cheap glue and use it until the bows fall off. It will buy you plenty of time to find another hobie for $500 with good hulls.

Chances are with delamination that bad, the glass has already been flexed and compromised in addition to the decades of normal wear and tear. You won't find anything but headaches in the "proper" repair of your boat when you see how much $$$ it will cost just to find more expensive damages down the road.

If fixed correctly it may last 10 more years, if fixed incorrectly it may last 10 more years? There is no equity in this boat except sweat so keep it simple. Trust me on this one. We just finished up another hobie 16 restoration and to be honest my last. If there was a hobie 16 worth restoring older than 15 years, I haven't seen it yet. These are simple boats so keep things simple. They're made to be used then thrown away. Gorilla glue will last 10 years. It isn't designed by chemical engineers in labs to repair multi million dollar cruise ships, but it will last many many years and work all the same for a hobie near the end of its life. I wouldn't bet millions of dollars on that, but I would bet a pair of trashed hobie hulls. Ergo, my recommendation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

tchilds wrote:
Just use some gorilla glue or some other inexpensive industrial grade adhesive. Don't waste all your money on the yacht parts. Inject the cheap glue and use it until the bows fall off. It will buy you plenty of time to find another hobie for $500 with good hulls.

Chances are with delamination that bad, the glass has already been flexed and compromised in addition to the decades of normal wear and tear. You won't find anything but headaches in the "proper" repair of your boat when you see how much $$$ it will cost just to find more expensive damages down the road.

If fixed correctly it may last 10 more years, if fixed incorrectly it may last 10 more years? There is no equity in this boat except sweat so keep it simple. Trust me on this one. We just finished up another hobie 16 restoration and to be honest my last. If there was a hobie 16 worth restoring older than 15 years, I haven't seen it yet. These are simple boats so keep things simple. They're made to be used then thrown away. Gorilla glue will last 10 years. It isn't designed by chemical engineers in labs to repair multi million dollar cruise ships, but it will last many many years and work all the same for a hobie near the end of its life. I wouldn't bet millions of dollars on that, but I would bet a pair of trashed hobie hulls. Ergo, my recommendation.

This is incredibly bad advice.

Attempting an extensive repair with cheap, inappropriate materials to eek out a few more sailing days is irresponsible and potentially life threatening.

The hull is toast. Find another one in better shape. It's that simple.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tchilds wrote:
Just use some gorilla glue or some other inexpensive industrial grade adhesive. Don't waste all your money on the yacht parts. Inject the cheap glue and use it until the bows fall off.

No, no, and no.

1) Waste of Money and time
2) Will not work
3) You can get hurt by cheaping out and ignoring the obvious.

Please follow the advice of MB or MM or someone that knows the deal.

My personal opinion on delam is that there is no real permanent 'repair'. You can prolong your boat's life by injecting epoxy, but it's not really a repair per se. Delam is an indication of structural hull failure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Location: Latrobe, PA, USA *** Show YOUR Location - Edit Profile ! ***
Surf City Catamarans wrote:
... Delam is an indication of structural hull failure.

Few Questions:
:?: Has anyone (Hobie?) studied the mechanism of this failure- why do some areas of some hulls, some years, under some conditions produce this defect- while others don't?
:?: Has this problem been solved in new/late model FG Hobie models?
:?: How about a class-action suit against the manufacturer for inherent product defects? Note: :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Every cored fiberglass product is subject to delam. There are alot of factors. It has been studied by a lot of people for decades.

Law suit? Yeah, warranty a 20 year old product that's been sitting the sun most of its life? I guess that's the American way. Good luck with that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
Law suit? Yeah, warranty a 20 year old product that's been sitting the sun most of its life? I guess that's the American way. Good luck with that.

:lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

David

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Few Questions:
Has anyone (Hobie?) studied the mechanism of this failure- why do some areas of some hulls, some years, under some conditions produce this defect- while others don't?

Note that most delaminations are in areas where sailors step or stand. Walk softly! Early available foam materials were not as durable... materials got better and the boats are stronger.

Quote:
Has this problem been solved in new/late model FG Hobie models?

Nearly non existent in modern H16s. Have not heard of a delamination in eons.

Quote:
How about a class-action suit against the manufacturer for inherent product defects? Note: :)

Yeah... I saw the :)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)