Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A gentleman on this website is selling a unused/still in box 2006 Cheata Motor Mount along with a long shaft 2 HP Honda motor. Can I use a LONG shaft motor on my Getaway?

There seems to be confusing installation instructions for the Cheata: http://www.grigorof.com/cheata.htm#Adrian, versus the Cheata Website (see below). I called my local Hobie dealers to install, but they have no experience installing a Cheata. Is there anyone in SE Pennsylvania that can help me out, or fine-tune the installation instructions.

Thanks,
Bob

Cheata Website Installation instructions:
"Bracket Installation For Getaway and Hobie 18
The installation of the Cheata Motor bracket for the Hobie Getaway is similar to the Hobie 18. The bracket looks like the Hobie 18 and there is the main casting underneath the rear cross bar and a small casting on top of the rear cross bar for the 5” X ¼” bolt to go through.

The difference is the elliptical rear cross bar is turned around so that wide part is facing forward rather than like the Hobie 18 or 16. The trampoline is laced from tads in the rear to a ¼” nylon rod running the full width of the trampoline.

You need to unlace the rear center of the trampoline allowing the trampoline to be loose in the center so that you have room to install the bracket. Not necessary for the Hobie 18.

The main casting goes under the Getaway just like the Hobie 18 and it should follow the curvature of the rear cross bar. I recommend launching the boat in very calm water and with the assistance of someone, place the bracket under the rear cross bar just like you were going to install the bracket, but to make a very important check. While someone is sitting on the trampoline giving the weight needed, bring the bracket up to the rear cross bar while your motor is clamped to the bracket arm. What you are checking is where the waterline is going to be on the motor shaft while one person is sitting on the boat in the rear. The waterline should be ½ way up the motor shaft. The worse thing you could do is guess where the waterline is, assemble the bracket, then discover your motor is too low to the water or that the propeller cavitates, because the motor was mounted too high. Take the time to mount the bracket correctly and not be forced to re-drill another set of holes.

The top casting (holes) will go parallel to the ¼” bolts from the bottom. There is a mark on the small castings which should be place next to the cam block, but this is only a guide to get you close. You’ll have to either clamp the bracket or hold it, then sight the bolts to better judge where the small castings should be positioned.

WHEN YOU DRILL THE ¼” HOLE, ONLY DRILL THE BOTTOM HOLE FROM THE BOTTOM AND THE TOP HOLE FROM TOP. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH FROM EITHER THE BOTTOM OR THE TOP. Once these holes have been located, the bracket can be bolted to the rear cross bar. ONLY MAKE THE BOLTS SNUG, DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THESE BOLTS, JUST SNUG. Now you can drill the 3/16” drill hole for the rivet. The rivet is what carries most of the weight of the motor. Each rivet has a sheer strength of 1000 pounds.

Now you are ready to re-lace the trampoline back if you are assembling to the Getaway. The ¼” rod will have to go over the motor bracket and not be flush with the rear cross bar as it was before, but that should be OK."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am also in SE PA, where do you sail?

I sail out at Marsh Creek and on Barnegat Bay. Can't help you with Cheeta mount, made my own and use a 2HP Suzuki.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I got my new '10 Getaway about 4 months ago, I have only had a chance to sail it 3 times: #1 Lake Nockamixon PA. Fine. #2 Pt Pleasant NJ (used Bay Ave boat ramp- had real problems there- after launching, unfavorable winds and a fast current drew me into a narrow channel towards a marina with LOTS of power boats. Embarrassed and exasperated, I had to ask for a tow from a gentleman on a small power boat). #3 Kiptopeke State Park, (Chesapeake Bay) VA. Took sailboat along with some tent/camping gear from SE Pennsylvania. Nice place! However, there was a problem- There were 2 rock jettys that extended out from the boat ramp approx 200 - 250 yards. In addition to that there were 4 or 5 thick wooden poles at the end of the jettys sticking out of the water. I was very apprehensive about negotiating around all of these obstacles. So, we didn't sail there all week. Bummer!

This is why I need a motor and a Cheata!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I carry two paddles for such occasions, but I want a bracket to setup my trolling motor though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Best of luck getting the motor and mount situated. I really enjoy my boat, hate to put it away for the winter...