Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scupper collapsing?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

have been struggling to find a leak on the PA but may have found a possibility. One of the front scuppers, left one closet to seat is collapsing inward. it was just a small looking ridge but today on the water I noticed my scupper is a half moon on the inside about an inch down. There is round support foam under that spot. I stand alot flyfishing my right foot is almost always on the pad on the outside of that scupper. today i felt it flexing more than normal. I have never had a scupper issue on any kayak and this is not one of cart holes. Anyone have a similar issue or noticed flexing? I bought the PA to sight fish and flyfish it would be a shame if I cannot. I am afraid the flexing and the partial collapse is going to be a future crack.

Post subject: Re: scupper collapsing?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:21 am 
Site Admin

If its not fractured yet, perhaps a sleeve inside the scupper can add some additional support? Check that the foam is properly installed to support the load of standing right on top of the scupper. If it fails it would be covered by warranty, so see a dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, had it at the dealer today and the local rep was there, took pictures and he noticed that there were some plastic chiping off scupper on inside and he thought it had been repaired or welded. :?: If so must have been at factory, yak was purchased in April from dealer and no repairs so far. The rep put it out flat on concrete and jumped up and down near scupper :shock: it didn't seem to bend more, not as hot as it was yesterday and I think the foam is stopping it. Told me to wrap it with duct tape and secure the foam he removed to take pics and I should be able to use it until a decision is made. If Hobie is not replacing I will try the sleeving idea. Dealer said he would replace it from stock if he got the ok, while that would be great and quick he only has the moss :( I really like my Ivory Dune. Still happy it may be resolved so quick!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Remy, what am I going to do with you? LOL.
After buying that plastic welding kit from KFS last year, there's nothing that can't be fixed. I'm sure it's a simple fix, you'll be good shape after you get this one behind you. Have you had the PA out in Rye yet? I haven't been out in weeks, back in school and it's taking all my time. Hope to see you out there in the wee hours; cause that's when mama bass comes out to play. MJ.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Lol! yes Mike if it can be broken I'll find a way! :D No Rye at all this year. I have been out 3 to 4 days a week freshwater but it has been slow.