Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2011 Pro Angler Review
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have had a 2009 Pro Angler and fished out of it extensively for the past 6 months. I recently got a 2011 Hobie Pro Angler and immediately noticed some very functional upgrades.

First is the new rudder steering handle. It has been moved from the seat to a position on the rod hold cradle.

This take up one of the rod cradles for the rod holder but, to me, it is an equal trade off.

I have found this modification has made steering my Pro Angler 100% easier. In my old PA, even with the upgrade larger drum, I still seemed to go from side to side while underway. Not with this new steering handle.

The Hobie has upgraded the trim mold on the front hatch and tackle box hatch to a larger trim that is way more water tight.

I use to get some water in my Pro Angler on every trip. I have had the new PA out three times and only one time in some 5 ft seas did I get any water and that was about 1/4 cup.......easily sponged up.

Another upgrade is the amount of stiff foam that the 2011 PA has under the deck.

This foam makes the deck far more stable and sturdy than on my old PA.

It appears that Hobie is listening to us users and tweaking the Pro Angler to make it a more functional yak.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the updates on the changes... Always seems more useful from a user than the company literature.

Have you posted any Fishing reports on this site like in TKF? Good Luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great review. Being new to Hobie and only having the 2011 PA I had only a small idea of the improvements! Thanks for listening Hobie

Tom "Flash" Shriver
US Army Golden Knights (Retired)
Hobie Pro Angler
Wilderness Systems Commander 140
Malibu X-Factor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I see you enjoy your ride.
The maiden voyage for my new PA was this afternoon at a local lake. I wanted to get out and see how it handles before I take it to the coast to bust some redfish.
I was doing donuts! This thing handles well. To heck with paddles. Very comfortable. The seat and the width of the boat were what sold me. Having only been on kayaks that I would rent from the beach service when my wife and I make our annual Florida beach trip I had no idea how nice a sit-on-top kayak could be.