Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Handle grip dry rot?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm going through hull handles like ... not quite as bad as toilet paper. The straps, particularly aft, just tear off the rubber grips after a year or so. I'm guessing the desert heat has something to do with it. (We've already established that the heat/dryness shrinks the sail bag.) I've considered the idea of replacing them with aluminum tubing bent and drilled to fit with the rubber grips slipped over the aluminum. Is there a reason that won't work?

Hobie Bravo designers, are you reading this?
Doug

Post subject: Re: Handle grip dry rot?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've taken some black boat cover strapping, doubled it and cut it to the length of the rotted out Hobie Bravo handles/straps. I rolled the ends and wrapped them in masking tape to make it easier to put them into the holes. Then I screwed them tight. We'll see how this arrangement lasts the season.
This is the first sailing vessel I've owned for which I've done so much design improvement. I don't know whether to thank Hobie or call them to account for missing so many opportunities.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Sun is a killer for sure. How old is the boat? Handles like this are purchased from vendors and do seem to vary... and we have changed vendors.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We bought the Bravo March 16, 2007 from Ron Lane in San Diego. It was part of a group used in a sales exhibit on the beach there. Ron bought everything in the show when FastLane bought the Hobie dealership. I've been through four aft handles now, and the fore handles aren't looking too good. I bought the first replacements (handles 3 and 4) from Ron maybe a year ago. The Bravo sits out in the heat, but has always been covered by a UV rated West Marine boat cover. Aft handles probably take the greatest normal wear because there is nothing else to grab there. Ron has sent the fourth handle to Hobie for examination and possible replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More like sun rot. We had the same problem. They are probably made out of nylon, not very sun resistant. Maybe they should be made from polyproplyene or dacron (duh). :wink: