Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - Yeah, I played around for heaps with the gyro. It's not as easy as I first thought. The mechanism needs dampening at the pivot points which is why I shyed away from the Ram gyro cup holder that I mentioned to you. I'm sure it would be too floppy. My first design was flopp'n around like a prick in a shirt sleeve. I've put 'O' rings on the shaft going through the Stauff bracket so I adjust the dampening by tightening the cap screws. Now that I'm happy with my design I need to remake the whole lot in stainless. I could make you one the same ( just as easy to make 2 as it is one ) however your design would need to be totally different because of the weight. Mine is, and needs to be, pretty heavy. Too heavy I'm sure to hold out on the end of a pole. Remember because yours is usually up high you can design it using the camera as the counterweight and thus elliminating some of the weight.

whosyabob - I suppose it's payback Mitch. Down here we had to be torchered by you and Cindy with your adventures while we were all grumbling about how cold and wet it was. Except of course for Stringy above, who kayaked to work in just a 'mankini' all throughout winter. He looked like a cross between Crocodile Dundee and Borat. :lol: I'll post the photos as soon as I've created them.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Except of course for Stringy above, who kayaked to work in just a 'mankini' all throughout winter. He looked like a cross between Crocodile Dundee and Borat. :lol: I'll post the photos as soon as I've created them.

Hey Slaughter,
That was no ordinary mankini that allowed me to kayak all Winter. It was my own custom design made from 9mm neoprene with strategically placed battery powered heatpads.
I've got some pics from my GoPro mounted forward and low on the deck that I'll post.
Err.....on second thoughts maybe I'd better not! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Using the camera as a counterbalance works. The rudder clip was shot that way with the camera upsidedown and I rotated the clips with Vegas. For low shots it works OK but for general shots it makes it harder to hide the pole.
Thanks for the offer of making me a mount but I agree it would be too heavy to use on the pole. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Except of course for Stringy above, who kayaked to work in just a 'mankini' all throughout winter. He looked like a cross between Crocodile Dundee and Borat.

Never happened without pics... Um, in this case we'll just take your word on it. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
That was no ordinary mankini that allowed me to kayak all Winter. It was my own custom design made from 9mm neoprene with strategically placed battery powered heatpads. I've got some pics from my GoPro mounted forward and low on the deck that I'll post.
Err.....on second thoughts maybe I'd better not!

Oh, go on Stringy, post em... you've got us all curious now! :wink:
BTW, my Sharkskin top and Lavacore pants kept me pretty warm - but admittedly it's been a very mild winter, and even water temp stayed up around a balmy 18°C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BTW Stringy, loved the way that you clipped vids and stills to fit the soundtrack! Great job!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that Max. :) (The comment about the clip, not the mankini. I'm with CGM on that one! :wink: )

PS
I have never and will never own a mankini and unless slaughter has actually purchased photoshop, which I doubt, there are NO pics. Slaughter has an overly vivid imagination at times! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi NSW AI sailors,
I was impressed by your trip and the video.

Have been sailing my AI around Sydney Harbour and Port Hacking for a year, but haven't seen another on the water.

Looks like fun to go on a group outing.

I'll look out for news of your next plan.

However, I do have a red one.

Regards,
DonaldAIsailor