Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Fella's

I recently tested the Hobie mirage drive and loved it...It is truely something!!!

I'm considering buying the adventure but the Mirage Tandem that I tested doesn't seem like a real comparison to the Adventure... I was in the "back seat" of a double kayak...but the rudder did work great !!!

Before I even paddled it I put my hand in the back hatch and I noticed the seat area was quite" high up" from the hull in this Tandem...about 4 inches and am wondering how high up the seat is from the hull in the new Adventure ???

Could anyone measure that out for me or gimme a guesstimate, appreciate it !!!

Cheers !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Adventure sits pretty low -- in fact, you can expect to get a wet butt through the scuppper holes (if unplugged) in choppy conditions. My guess is about 4" off the bottom of the keel?? Significantly lower than the tandom and noticably lower than the Classic. You wouldn't want it any lower!

It's a comfortable position -- feels like you're more in, rather than on the kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tks for your reply RR ! :)

Wet butt doesn't worry me, I like the idea of feeling like your "sittig in" the kayak and personally I would do away with the scupper holes in the seat area and just lower it so that you feel like your REALLY sitting in the yak !!!...but I'm pushing 250 and those scupper holes in the seat don't do it for me anyway...if I could only shed a few :( !!!

Looking forward to a test paddle/pedal !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with RR--the Adventure seating area seemed much lower to me than either my Outback or the Sport. In fact, my knees in the BigA felt like they were at about chest level by comparison, although I don't believe I was sitting quite that low!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:28 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mister Pitcher wrote:
... those scupper holes in the seat don't do it for me anyway...

Took some measurements today: The seat cavity (less cushon) is only about about 2 5/8" from the exit and about 3 3/4 from the keel line. That could be why Hobie included scupper plugs with the adventure. I used the plugs today and was "high and dry" -- think I'll keep them in!

Weight capacity on the Adventure is stated at 350# -- plenty of room to spare! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a CoD inflatable seat pad in my Adventure. It makes it very comfortable and dry and does not need much inflation - in fact you have to squeeze some air out of it for best comfort. I was surprised that the extra 1/2" or so in the seat pad has a noticeable effect on stability but after about 30 mins of adjusting to the added rock it feels great - it is really nothing much but noticeable. I guess this is why the original seat was set so low.

Post subject: new flippers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have two mirage kayaks and pleased with both can I add the new flippers to my existing drive unit and it should make it faster right? :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey al,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum! And you are right--the new flippers can be added to the original drive unit, and yes, they will make the yak go faster, based on the reports that I have seen.
Best,
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:08 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Been staying out looooong. And the butt was getting a bit sore.

For $4.74 + your local tax I picked up an inflatable donut from Wally Mart drug department. A tad more heavy duty than a pool float for kids.

Inflataed about 1/3. Great and height didn't seem to be raised enough where I could experience any stability differences.