Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hauling the Outback
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:?:
Is there a preferred way of hauling an Outback, right side up ... or down..
I have a full length pick-up with a tool box next to cab, I have made some plans for brackets that will be mounted to tail gate and tool box...
all suggestions are welcome ......... Thanks, Pomoxis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Welcome to the forum! Don't know if you have a lumber rack -- that's what I use. A pair of Thule cross bars mount on the side rails along with a couple of kayak adapters. It's easy to slide on from the back! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner,
I am new to this whole gig , but have been enjoying how well you all work together in this forum, as I bought my outback from an individual, I am learning more right here with the many varied experiances.

I am handy in fabricating or customizing, what I lack right now is the knowledge of the care for hauling a kayak, does it need to be supported the entire length, should it be on it's side, back, or top??
Most of my trips will be with in 100 mile range, however I usually head out from Tex to Colorado in mid August, and the places that I go up there will be considerably rougher in transport.

Thanks again, pomoxis

Post subject: hauling your outback
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if you have a Harbor Freight nearby but they sell a "truck bed extender"...or lumber rack...around $40 bucks last I saw.

It can be easily adapted for hauling your kayak.

Not sure as far as support goes...when hauling, mine is supported about 3 feet from either end...(with the Outback at 12 feet, that leaves 6 feet in the middle)...have not had any problems so far. :?

Good luck!

....oops forgot to add that I believe the pro's will tell you to haul on side or upside down (on rails)...

Post subject: Hauling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ganiom: first off a hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum. Right on about the truck bed extender. I now use one also on my SUV even, and hope that I don't encounter a thunderstorm to or from my launch site!

Pomoxis: I also transport on my roof rack and on a trailer. In all cases, I usually haul with cockpit down, in case I encounter some severe rain. Although generally water “resistant,” the hatches or mast tube have been known to leak on some boats.

Post subject: Upside down
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 am 
Site Admin

Upside down on the cockpit rails is best.

These are the strongest points on the hull. I think you are safe with rack bars anywhere from 3 feet to about 60-70% of the length of the hull. Wider spread is better for stability on the roof rack. Supporting from the very ends could cause problems as the center may slump.

Supporting on the hull bottom (right-side-up) is not advised.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Thankyou
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all,
what a wounderful way to share thought and ideas, now I can get back to the drafting board and have some direction to start in. I am going to Harbor frieght to get a better look at those extenders, I have seen them in thier mailers but haven't got a good feel for them yet. Hauling upside down or on its side does sound like a stronger meathod than on the belly, many thanks... when I complete this rack I'll share some pics........... Pomoxis

Post subject: Re: Hauling
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Apalach - Thanks for the welcome. I've found the site and many of your postings to be extremely helpful.

(Pomoxis - go to harborfreight.com and type "truck bed extender" into their search option. There are some pics and dimensions you may find helpful...and it's on sale $19.99)

Mike Ganio

Post subject: Re: Upside down
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Supporting on the hull bottom (right-side-up) is not advised.

I've been hauling my Outback on a Malone Gullwing, which cradles the hull of the yak. Am I asking for trouble? I can understand not placing the hull on flat crossbars, but since the Gullwing conforms somewhat to the shape of the hull, I figured it was OK. I don't see any deformation when it's strapped in.

I like the rack as it's very easy to load by myself, and none of my accessories (Scotty mounts, fishfinder bracket, etc.) get damaged by being dragged across the rails. Furthermore, since the straps and "wings" hug the yak very closely, I don't have to excessively tighten the straps, and there is very little strap exposed to the wind. (Nice and quiet.)

http://www.arizonakayak.com/Qstore/p000034.htm