Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loner Boys Adventure
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The "Loner Boys" - Kobi, Cameron and Steven - head out for a sail in windy conditions. Kobi's friends had stayed overnight, and jumped at the chance for a ride on the kayak, although neither had done any sailing. Cameron and Steven, out on the tramps, didn't know what was coming their way!

Although we could have had full sail on at times, I didn't want to get the lads too nervous. As it was a boy's vid, Kobi picked the music. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-kZFmVyKX0[/youtube]

Post subject: Re: Loner Boys Adventure
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Max,

Great video it looks like your son and his friends really enjoyed themselves.

I noticed that you always seem to sail from the front seat. It's interesting to me because I have never sailed from up front. Last time out when the wind was picking up I almost did it to see if it would give me weather helm but I just could not do it.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Too much fun! And is that Loner Boys, Loaner Boys or Loaner Buoys? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Captain Max

Love to see your vid but Sony Music Entertainment has blocked it.
Can you rerun without music?
They are Numpies!

Nerdycross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, the 'Loner Boys' really enjoyed themselves... though I could call a couple of them 'Loaner Boys'. :)

Jerry, I'm up forward coz I'm still waiting for the extra furling cleat for the rear aka xbrace. It takes Hobie Oz a while to get it together!

NC, I'll see what I can do. Before using a copyright soundtrack I check on YouTube for an existing clip... if I find one, and they just add the 'buy from iTunes' advert etc, I figure I'm good to go. This time though, I found that there was a long list of countries where Sony would not allow it!!! Even the UK. Where are you located?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Best MOB test scenario I could think of,.. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NC, the vid is now on my website, see Loner Boys Adventure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Best MOB test scenario I could think of...

Whadaya mean, throw the mob overboard? :lol: Of course, if they were tethered, they'd make a tasty bait for something BIG!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great stuff Max! 8)
The most TI grins I've seen on a single craft!
Nohuhu is right. Perfect for a tethered Man Over Board test and the boys would probably enjoy it. Better start with your own son first though- just in case! It might be awkward explaining how the injury occured to other parents.:wink:
Personally though I'd be throwing whoever picked the CHRIS Brown track OB first! :lol:

Last edited by stringy on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice one captain-max.

Brings back memories for me. I grew up in Laurieton, just 30mins down the road from you so spent plenty of time around Port.

Cheers
Riddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Riddo, Laurieton's a very nice place indeed. Going to try the Camden River bar to get offshore one of these days, in the hope it's a bit better for yaks than the Hastings River. I actually live at Beechwood, a few k's out from Wauchope. Moved up here from Sydney some 5 years ago to get out of the rat race. 8)

Stringy, that muzak was my son Kobi's choice, but the other two boys really like Chris Brown too. I'll let Kobi know that the Hobie Forum members voted him as the MOB test dummy. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Caption Max

just seen the Vid looks like you and the boys had a fun time! I cant wait till my AI arrives (2011 in Dune)and can get out there and have some fun!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Max.

The bar on the Camden Haven river is a hundred times better than the Port bar. It has always been a bit shallow on the north side but you can normally get a good run out if you keep near the south wall.

I grew up there, spent about 10 years in Sydney, back there for 5 years and just moved up the Sunshine Coast in Jan this year. All my uncles were (and still are) fishermen in the area so I spend a lot of time out on the trawler and lobster boats. During my last stint in the area, I did a bit of regular kayak fishing (I now have a TI :D ) out of Laurieton.

Another good spot if it is fairly small swell is to head out of Spooney's beach at Bonny Hills, just south of the main beach. And a bit further south of Laurieton in the national park at Diamond Head you can drive onto the beach and it is usually well protected from most swells.

Keep up the good vids. I have been eyeing off your trailer design on your website as well. I am getting pretty tired of hoisting the TI up on the Hilux so am going to look into making a trailer.

Cheers
Riddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NC, hopefully you won't have to wait the 4 months that I did for my TI. Why doncha edit your profile and add your location? Always interesting to see where other enthusiasts are located. 8)

Riddo, thanks for the local knowledge! Camden looked better than Hastings to my inexperienced eye, but I'd feel more comfortable going out together with someone who was familiar with the area. Spooney's has been suggested to me, but Google Earth seemed to show a lot of rocks at the South end? Also been eying off Diamond Head.

My main aim was always to get offshore, but admittedly I didn't give a lot of thought as to how and where! Du-oh!

I'm really happy with my trailer design... takes me just minutes to launch and set sail. As it can 'contract' into a normal trailer size it's very versatile too. After a lot of hunting around, I got a great deal from Mark at the 'Trailer Factory' at Port Mac. There's a saying: "You can have it cheap, you can have it good, you can have it quick: pick any two!" Mark is always busy, he has a rep for good trailers at a good price, but I had to wait 8 weeks to get the trailer. Worth the wait though!

My mate in Taree also bought a TI after he saw mine, and he's waiting for Mark to build his trailer, as hoisting it on top of his 4wd and securing it all is getting wearing. As an indicator, around $1200. If it's not worth your time building one yourself, consider ringing Mark... just ask for "Max Hugen's Hobie Tandem Island trailer", he has kept the plans. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, and Riddo, if you come down this way to visit your uncles etc, pls do give me a holler; would be great to have someone to go out with, for an offshore blast!