Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sizing for pro angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I'm considering a PA but am concerned about purchasing site unseen. I'm 6'4". Wondering if any tall folks out there have any thoughts on fishing from a PA. Comfort, leg room, etc.
Thanks,
Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If a PA is uncomfortable then there is not kayak built at this time that will work for you. The PA is the kayak of kayaks.... Any size, any weight!! Best thing to do is go to a demo and try one out... Buying sight unseen is not the best thing to do. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am 6'3" and there is plenty of leg room, seat room, storage room, room for everything except the kitchen sink! I bought my PA without a demo ride and I am very satisfied with it. the only two things I don't like is the price and the weight but once in the water you don't notice the weight at all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am 6'4" I have plenty of room in all directions. I have the pedals set on notch 5 of 7 when I sit up straight, and 6 of 7 when I slouch. Very comfortable. Plus when you do need a stretch, you just stand up and stretch! Love it!

Even at 265# I am high, dry, and stable.

Have no worry about the PA fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

spinso71 wrote:
Hello, I'm considering a PA but am concerned about purchasing site unseen. I'm 6'4". Wondering if any tall folks out there have any thoughts on fishing from a PA. Comfort, leg room, etc.
Thanks,
Shawn

Go to a dealer and test one out. You will not be sorry.

The 2011 PA has the new steering control. Me - 6'2" 225. I use my PA for 8-12 hours on the ocean and I can stand up and sight fish. I'm practicing casting standing up but that not dialed in yet.

I upgraded my seat panels to hold padding for the bottom of my seat. After sitting and peddling for 12 hours my butt is killing me. This was even worse in my paddle kayak seat. I'll have some photos of my seat upgrade when I think it's perfected. I'm close....

There is a lot of room for you and all the fish you catch.

Where are you planning on using the PA?

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

atavuss wrote:
I am 6'3" and there is plenty of leg room, seat room, storage room, room for everything except the kitchen sink! I bought my PA without a demo ride and I am very satisfied with it. the only two things I don't like is the price and the weight but once in the water you don't notice the weight at all.

Completely agree! It's almost as fast as the revo and 90% of the paddle guys cannot keep up with the PA for more than 15 minutes. Then they are left in your dust.........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

after seeing the other comment on the seat I too have a sore behind after all day in the seat. I take an inflatable cushion and trade off sitting on it and using it for lumbar support.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the advice. I did purchase one from an online retailer. No regrets. This thing is HUGE! First fishing trip next weekend! Now my problem is storage. I don't think the straps I purchased are that great. Only one inch wide. How are you all storing yours?
Thanks,
Shawn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I leave my PA on the Jeep trailer I transport it on, I just loosen the straps and let it sit on the Yakima Mako shark saddles. I did leave the straps cinched down too long once and there is one dent in the middle of the left side.
I also have a Hobie Outback and I store it upside down on two saw horses with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like that trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

spinso71 wrote:
I like that trailer.

Thanks, it is a post WWll 1/4 ton civilian Bantam trailer. for being over 60 years old it is in good shape.