Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone ever cut into their hulls and add additional storage cubbies? I thought maybe close to the rear crossbar would be good. Definately need to do something about additional storage. I like how the 21'SC has midsection storage above the tramp. Too bad we can't get something like that for the getaway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have seen inspection ports added behind the rear crossbar on a rental Getaway in St. Maarten. In this case the inspection ports looked like they had been added to allow the hull to be repaired at the rudder attachment points, but there didn't seem to be any resulting damage to the boat - which clearly had a lot of use on it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Engineering would have to jump in here but the way the getaway is build by bonding the two halves like that I can't see any issue with putting more storage pots in the hull.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone considered putting another hatch between the cross bar and the existing hatches?
This would open up the whole hull and you could store life jackets and the like, but all items would need to be tied by rope as they would work their way down to the end of the hull.
Can you plastic weld a larger tub inside?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am going to do something about storage in the hulls soon.The existing Getaway storage spaces(mine is a 2003 model) are too small and they leak badly anyway.

With the existing hatches the hulls slope in towards the hatch at the front and rear making them prone to channeling water in to the small box under the hatch-I would do away with the boxes under the hatches and install bigger better quality hatches with a net under to stop the gear disappearing up or down the hulls.

A friend has advised to get only top quality aluminium framed hatches to avoid ongoing problems.
How does polurethane glue or sealant go with the seal on the plastic hull material?

Is there now a glue/sealant that adheres well to the hull material on a Getaway?

I fully realise that by doing away with the box under the hatch you leave yourself open to water getting down into the hulls however that will be my responsibility.

Has anyone put in bigger hatches?What dimensions were they and what brand was used.

Apologies for all the questions.
Thanks
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Love your idea about using netting as a substitute for a cargo hold area, i imagine that it would be easy and convenient to install, which would hold all sorts of items, from warm weather gear, food and drinks to life jackets and other safety gear. can you send me the design on the cargo net that you come up with. Cheers River Rat, Perth, Western Australia.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Instead of cutting into the hulls have you considered dry bags lashed to the forward netting?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fastcat wrote:
Instead of cutting into the hulls have you considered dry bags lashed to the forward netting?

Because its a Hobie its got to look good, i want to carry all of the following Fenders, Life Jackets, wet weather gear, Cold weather jackets, EPIRB, hand held GPS, Hand held Compass, Anchor, Binoculars, Emergency Flares, Marine Radio, AM FM Stereo/ CD/ MP3Player, Drogue / Sea anchor, 3-5 man Tent, Rations, Water, Hammocks, Bivvy bag, First Aid kit,, Beer, BBQ, Gas bottle, Picnic Basket, Camera, Mobile Phone, Car keys etc.

A rather large dry bag on the front tramp would not be balanced to well, hence the option to add extra storage to each hull.

River Rat, Perth West Aus.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like you want to do similar things to me.I am just off now on my first trip and will reply later after I see how it goes.For now things are in a large 60 litre barrell and various dry bags-haven't done anything in the hulls yet.Not wise to do too much before you actually try the boat out for camping.
I might come back and decide a Getaway is just the thing for camping on-will let you know-going over to Fraser Is from River Heads(near Hervey Bay) for a couple of nights-forecast for wind is good but rain is very likely.
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am home now after spending 3 days/2 nights on the Getaway on Fraser Island and have a few ideas about the camping thing.
First-it's a great sailboat-forgiving and fast-sails like a dream-sails onto the beach like it was meant to-no daggerboards.My outboard motor died early on so I had to sail-a perfect little sailboat.(The outboard got very wet-it's old and the covers have been lost so the water got in-time to buy a new one)
Camping.
The first night I slept under a tarp with a mosquito net hitched up under the tarp.The tarp flapped at night and the mosq net butted my face-the mosq got me where the net touched.
The next night I rigged a small 2 man tent on the tramp-a lot better.The tarp is for day use only to keep the sun off from now on.The tarp is wrapped around a stick which I haul up the mast track with the halyard.The boat is light enough to move so the tarp gives the best shade.
A good storage space for light items is under the wing seats.I will string netting under the wing seats with shock cord leaving places where a hand can get in to retrieve sunglasses,biscuits,sml qty water raincoat etc.The netting will allow the items to be seen easily.

Storage in the hulls will not suit me-you have to get down on hands and knees to get at it.The 60 litre barrell was good-for the stuff you need to get at infrequently like bedding and stove.
A place to put the stove out of the wind when cooking would be good.Thinking of 2 triangular shaped plywood boxes with lids placed at the very front of the wing seats just aft of the mast beam so the wing seats can still fold in and out.
Hopefully a lid can be positioned to keep the wind off the stove-the boxes can be accessed from the tramp and also from the side of the boat if it is dried out on the sand. (These boxes would be forward of the manufacturers hatches going almost up to the forward wing seat support-not too deep perhaps 300mm max height so you could see inside them if you were atanding on the sand next to the dried out boat)

These boxes to be sitting on top of the hulls and somehow attached without drilling holes in the hulls(there are a few places to attach-the pivot bolts for the wing seat bracket for one)

Also thinking of a bracket or small box on the mast itself for small items-just rivetted on-sunglasses or GPS or sunscreen and so on.
Dry bags I found a pain as everything goes to the bottom of the bag and gets jumbled up.
Had a very pleasant breakfast on the beach with cooking stuff sitting on top of the wing seat-standing up with a nice view-again any breeze makes the little gas cooker pretty ineffective-hence the idea of a box or 2 bits of hinged plywood to act as a windbreak.

My son suggests a backpack for each person-then you can shift everything to the shore or leave it on the boat(ie store nothing on or in the boat-just in the backpack).Wrap each backpack in a plastic sheet.
My biggest problem was remembering where I put things-so the netting under the wing seats will help as a glance is all that is needed.

Hope these ideas help-probably some of you can build on these ideas and make them a lot better-ten heads are better than one!

ps the mainsail was always in the way-I could not roll it into a small bundle by myself and found it hard to store out of the way-any ideas?

Happy sailing and camping!
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

8) Congrats on taking the trip to Frazer island, it sounds like you learned a lot on your journey. I was thinking about hanging a hammock between each wing. The mainsail was going to be rolled up and tied to one of the Wings for the night or Roll it tie it and hoist it up in a parallel fashion, the main and rope it to the Mast using the halyard in a twist winding motion to stop the clatter at night.

How did the boat handle with extra weight lashed to the front Tramp? Would love to hear your point of view.

I can only assume you camped on the west side of the Island away from the 4x4 vehicles that use the beach as a highway.

Are the Dingo's still friendly as ever there?

Please post some Photo's, if you have them, so all of the Getaway crew can see them.

River Rat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We launched the boat from River Heads-I took the son and his partner out for a trial run just in the Mary river and with their gear as well as me it was low in the water-they had about 100kg of camping gear-mainly on the front tramp.

If 2 of us moved to the back of the boat the outboard(Honda 2hp) went very low-will have to find a way to adjust the height of the motor-just have pins for selected spots but need more places to pin the motor.

The hammock impresses me but not the son-I agree a hammock stows away very light and easy-if it broke you would only end up on the tramp anyway.I saw another off the beach cat(an older one) about 18 feet and the owner had an alum ladder from the dump strapped up the middle of the front tramp-light and strong-it really impressed me as a way of walking out to attend to the anchor-get some gear etc-also he had one home made tramp between the ladder and one of the hulls the other side left open for getting aboard-something strong to pull yourself up on-a cluey idea.When the son returns he will have lots of ideas also so I will put them here-thanks for your ideas-your ideas for storing the main helped also-there is not really all that much room on the tramp so you have got to use it well.My main problem was losing things-which drybag was that in? Or what locker or barrell is that in?

Something I will get better at with time.
I was on the W side however the son prefers the N side (Platypus Bay)
I saw dingoes and wondered how to keep them out of my food supplies.Perhaps hanging the food off a hook on the mast(just fresh food)
There are severe penalties for allowing dingoes to get at your tucker and they are very good at doing that.I don't see them as a danger-perhaps with small children they could be a problem.
No photos-not a big camera man and I probably couldn't have found it any way-perhaps the son took some.

Dry bags don't impress me.
Regards
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Short of getting a H21 Sport Cruzer, how about waterproof zippered duffels, e.g., http://www.moontrail.com/sealine-zipduffles.php I don't know how many shapes they come in, but possibly a couple on the front tramp near the cross beam and a couple strapped to the top side of the wing near the back (help ballance the load). If you put soft stuff in the wing bags then you might be able to sit/lean against them also. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is probably a keep-production-costs-down issue on the part of Hobie (are you reading this mmiller?) but having an 03 Getaway since it was new, my biggest problem has been storage. Yes, waterproof bags work if you double them up and they're a hassle. Strapping on a one gallon gas container with bungie cords for my little 2hp is a hassle. Replacing the stripping on the two storage hatches with better stripping is a neccessity to keep your stuff dry.

My only complaint with this fun boat in 8 seasons has been the mini-storage compartments. Why not make them BIGGER or add 2 more? This would be a major, inexpensive improvement!

Do that and I'll buy a NEW one!