Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interlux Britesides
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone used Interlux Britesides to paint thier H16 hulls? I will be doint ding and leak repair and want to paint afterward (Yellow). Or should I re-gel-coat the hulls?

I will also be painting the mast (Black) and the Corner castings and front and back crossmembers. The Sidebars will be painted also but will be yellow so they don't become so hot on the legs.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will be painting my hulls this winter, and I will use Interlux Interthane Plus. This is a two part polyurethane paint. It is very hard, and stands up to the UV very well. It is also well suited for masts, booms, and side rails.

I would also recommend using a barrier coat of some kind before the paint. As gel coat gets old, it can become porous. If water gets in, it will cause blisters and eventually delamination of the glass. Applying a barrier coat such as Interprotect 2000E will go very far in preventing gel coat blistering and delamination.

If you are repairing dings that are deep enough that fiberglass is showing, or if you are repairing existing blisters, then the hulls should be thouroghly dried to remove any moisture already in the fiberglass and gel coat. Storing them in a humidity controlled environment for a few weeks should acomplish this. If there is moisture in the glass before you repair, it almost guarantees blisters later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your input. I will be attempting the repairs/painting over the winter/spring and look forward to any member's input/success stories/failure stories/pictures etc.
Thanks again,

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

after much research, I have come to the following conclusions:

1) A barrier coat is not needed on beach cats. They spend more time out of the water than in it, so the hulls remain fairly dry. The reason mine had blisters was because it had been moored on a lake for 5 years or more.

2) If you want a really strong, really durible paint, then interthane plus is for you. It costs about $60 a quart. You also need to use a special primer with it (at $60 a quart also). Interthane is so potent that it will actually strip the paint and gel coat already on your boat. what this means is that if you paint directly over old paint, it will peel up and look like hell. The primer is like a medium that wont peel up the old paint, and can stand up to the Interthane.

3) If you are looking for cost efficient, then Brightsides is awesome. If your gel coat is in good shape, you need no primer, just sand with 120 grit, clean, and paint over. It has teflon in it, so it will resist abrasion, and it is super easy to brush on. You should definitly thin it to 10% (meaning 10% Interlux solvent 333 and 90% paint) so that the brush strokes will even out. It leaves a really glossy finish. The downside is that you might need to repaint every 2-3 years because dragging it up and down a beach will sand it down to the original finish.

I will be posting more pics under a thread in the 16 forum over the course of the winter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm planning on using the 1 part Brightside Polyurethane paint and the associated primer (Brightside Prekote)

Main reasons is the lower cost and the fact that it seems alot easier and quicker. I want to be sailing not painting.

Couple questions:

1) Many years of beaching and the fiberglass is showing on the bottom of my hulls. Is there something else I should be doing to it first? Use the 2 part because its more durable? Epoxy it?

2) In effort to save time, I don't want to take the boat apart. Is there any concerns with just flipping it to paint it? It would end up being upside down for 2 weeks total outdoors.

Thanks,
Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was looking at the samething reglass the hulls or Sail. I put Off reglassing and went with a thin coat of Marine Tex. I taped off the areas of glass that was worn , Sanded smooth it was a quick fix but allot of work to rermove it when I do reglass the botoms next winter. The sailors on this forum will most likely disagree with me but it worked.

Todd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm getting ready to paint the hulls on my Hobie 16. I was leaning towards using Interlux Brightsides because of ease of application versus Interlux Interthane. I then came across Interlux Perfection which is a 2 part polyurathane paint - similar to Interlux Interthane, but formulated for the do it yourself market. Has anyone used this paint on their hobie? If so, what was your experience - how hard was it to get the finish you wanted, and how has it held up to dragging the boat acrosss the beach?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide...

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are the proud (third) owners of a 1988 H18 in pretty good shape.
Owner No 2 sailed it at his cottage, and due to many beach landings over the years, a good part of the bottom of the hulls have lost the gelcoat. Fibreglass looks good, with no nicks or scratches, and is smooth as silk, and for the most part, the boat sails 'dry'. As we are recreational sailors only, perhaps once a week during the 1214 weeks of the Canadian summer, do we need to get excited about this lack of perfection?

Like, do I have a major winter project on my hands or no?

If I do, I'll follow Marcus' excellent instructions. Thanks

Good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I used Interlux Brightside to paint my H16 this fall... It came out great. Just a tip for anyone planning on painting with Brightside - If you thin the paint with Interlux 333 Brushing Liquid the results will amaze you as the paint levels to a perfect shiny surface even with roll and tip. I'm very pleased with this stuff.

jrg

Post subject: Painting Method
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jrg wrote:
I used Interlux Brightside to paint my H16 this fall... It came out great. Just a tip for anyone planning on painting with Brightside - If you thin the paint with Interlux 333 Brushing Liquid the results will amaze you as the paint levels to a perfect shiny surface even with roll and tip. I'm very pleased with this stuff.

jrg

I followed jrg's advice on painting method from my own thread. The smoothing effect using roll and tip is quite remarkable, even on a cold (50F) day.