Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well the rod holders are in. The fit is PERFECT, its like they are custom made for this size pipe. Even better than I had hoped. No self fusing tape required. They have rubber gaskets on the inside clamp surface to prevent marring the surface of the pipe that really grips super tight. It won't even budge. All 4 combined has a weight of a couple of pounds if that. This was the answer for my set-up issues. Pics to follow this eve. Field test this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have a look. Rock solid, super spread

Last edited by sammy925 on Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sammy,

Looks pretty solid and you got some crazy spread. Do you have to retract the amas to reach the outer rods? Nice option!

c2y

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome looking rig Sammy! Now for a laugh, stick a rod in every one of those rocket launchers, and get a pic of the look on the faces of the tinny fishos! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might want to drag a handline behind that array too, just in case you miss a fish :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the picts Sammy.

Here's a couple of my RAM spread, for comparison. Notice how high the rods are, above the waterline. All angles can be changed without tools and the Akas retract fine.

BTW, I had a monster strike an hour before these photos. The fish hit a hydro top side lure and ran with it. When I tried to set the hook, it ripped the snap swivel apart.

Bad news is: I lost the fish and my new lure. Good news is: no issues with the auto clamping holders.

If you see a big fish grinning with one of these in his mouth, tell him I said "next time",..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,

Those Ram holders you choose made for a clean out-of-the-way setup. Too bad you missed that heavy strike. Sounds like one of the big bruisers of an ulua that likes to turn the kayak when it hits. Next time...

c2y

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Guys,

I positioned them low to the water beacuse I wanted to increase the spread and ensure nothing would foul the sail/ sail lines. The inboard rods will be run off outrigger style clips at the base of the fore grips to run the lines close aboard with dead or live bait behind trolling birds, the clips also give a nice drop back after the knock down.. The outboard holders will be moved about 6-8inches closer in so I don't need to roll out on the tramps to far to grab them. On the outboard rods I will be draggin diving plugs, artificials etc. The rock sold setup gives me plenty of time to get set for the fight and tidy up without fear of the rod going bye bye. Just my initial plan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sam, that rod holder spread is awesome and they look like they will have plenty grip. It's going to be a wet ride for the gear, but the tramps will help.

As for the sail rigging, I have only had minor mainsheet issues with the built in rod holders (non extended) so I think you are very safe anywhere out on the rear Akas. The only exception is when the sail is luffing violently and the loose sheet is swinging around. (If that happens, watch your noggin too). :shock:

If you're headed offshore, you'll want to keep a close eye on the outboard reels. Swells are going to kick up under the windward tramps and want to unseat things. On the leeward side, the Amas are going to occasionally bury and there is a risk of washing the poles overboard or even burying the tips if they are too horizontal. Easy to snap a pole that way.

Picture the boat being rocked by a good wave or gust while there is already pressure on the line (from a large bait or fish strike). That's the minimum angle you want to go with. Lock that in and your expensive gear should never become a "water brake".

Would be a good idea to buy more phone cord though. I did. :wink:

BTW, that Hobie live well looks awesome. Did not know they came in yellow trim! That's one lean mean fishin machine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,
Major valid points. I'm sure I will need to adjust everything by way of trial and error, not to mention you guys giving input of experience/lessons learned. Thanx to all and I will always post my findings. Those outboard holders were already adjusted to a more upright position tonite. I'm working on a lock down device/lanyard with a quick release of some type like a mini safety shackle release. This would be to keep them in the holder tight with zero stretch play. No wash out. But I don't want to fumble around or unhook things. Every time on the water I learn new aspects of using this craft and its unique fishability.

The livewell is painted using a rough up with an acrylic pad, Bulldog primer, and two coats of Acrylic 2 part paint mixed to match at a NAPA auto parts store. The ratio was 3parts paint base to 1 part catalyst. It has held up perfectly since May 09. Application method was spray, using the auto parts store, (also avail at West Marine) small disposable spayers :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Sammy, with the spread of those outermost rods, shouldn't you covert them to outriggers? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All kidding aside Max,

Thats basically what my intention is. I will be using my 8 1/2 foot Medium Heavy Penn Slammer rods in the outboard postions. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totally agree. You can double your lines and achieve virtually the same spread without the complexity and PIA of a custom outrigger. Much better way to go.

With those outside rods, Sammy should have 20' or more of separation, and the precise angles he wants. He can then run 2 shorter/deeper lines in the middle positions.

Add a weighted handline or downrigger and it's about the best pattern you can hope for on kayak.

If that seems like a sweet arrangement for trolling, image drifting with it. The bottom fishing coverage at various depths should be lethal.

When it comes time to jig, imagine him hopping around from line to line like a puppet master. :lol: I like it.

Only question is, can you fit a setup like this on the TI Akas, and use it as efficiently?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nohuhu,

I was wondering the same thing if the tubing diameters on the AI and TI are the same. I would think the TI's tubing would be a little bigger to help support the additional stresses.

all,

I went ahead and reworked my Scotty rod holder mounts today. Since the set mounted on the top (versus the side) of the crossbar was undamaged despite some movement during a fish strike, I rotated the other mounts to be the same. To improve the mounts hold, I machined the saddles so that they fit the curved profile of the crossbar and added rubberized gaskets to add friction. Tested well on dry dock and will take it for a test run this weekend. Will take pics and post shortly.

c2y

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool.

And I just bought a 9 foot rod and moved the ram mounts out another foot.

Gotta start being careful in the channels now. Not going to be room for other traffic to pass me! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next