Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Come join us for some of the best fun you could have. It would be great to have our own fleet of Getaways there.

October 2 & 3, 2010
Hosted by Lake Eustis Sailing Center and Hobie Fleet 11
The Twelth Annual Wildcat Regatta will be sailed again at Lake Eustis, hosted by our friends at the Lake Eustis Sailing Club. Lake Eustis is conveniently located a short 30 minute drive northwest of Orlando. The clubgrounds provide one of the best regatta venues in the state, offering a clubroom with showers and full facilities. This is the perfect place for a relaxed and fun weekend of racing.

This year the fine folks of Red Gear Racing and Coaching will be providing a starting seminar Friday October 1. The training will include a breifing on shore typically covering how to move efficently through a track. Then onto the water for coaching on starting and mark rounding. The day will conclude with dinner and movie of the days lessons learned. The cost of the one day seminar is $60 for double and $50 for single.

More information can be found at http://www.teamloewen.com/

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The regatta was a big success. 43 cats were there. Lots of A Cats, F-18's, Hobie 16's & 18's, and my lone Getaway. I raced against the other 7 Open Portsmouth boats - the Hobie 18's, a Prindle, a Hobie 17 and 14. After 6 races was able to get the Getaway home in 4th place! It sure suprised a lot of people. On one of the races I took a bullet by beating all but 2 other boats across the line, let alone on corrected time.

A highlight of the regatta was on Friday, Robbie Daniel of Red Gear Racing conducted an afternoon on-the-water clinic on starting. I had explained to Robbie that my Getaway was windwardly challenged. He followed me in the chase boat, giving me pointers.

Best of all, once back at the beach, we adjusted the rake of the mast forward. My mast had been raked back to the point that the main sheet blocks went block to block before the sail was trimmed in to its best shape. With the boat on the beach pointing 45 degrees off of the wind, we were able to stand well behind the boat with the mainsheet in hand. As we tightened the sheet you could immediately see the improvement in sail shape. Before, the upper third of the sail was spilling air. Now, you can get the leach of the sail to be right in line with the mast. The difference out on the water was incredible. I wasn't able to point as high as the 16's and 18's (hull shape just won't cut it) but with the new ability to trim the sail and keeping my weight far forward the boat had much better performance into the wind.

I had a big suprise at the end of the last race of the regatta, right after I beached my Getaway at the host sailing club, that as I pulled up my port rudder after it kicked up that the tendon snapped off. As I looked down in shock, I noticed that the starboard tendon was snapped almost entirely in half. With a gentle wiggle, the cross bar came completely separated from tillers! I think that the saying is
true: God takes care of drunks and sailors.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like you had fun,and a good result too.Just wondering what yardstick you were using and did you sail with wings or without.I race mine without any resort gear at all and find my getaway to be very fast around the course.Your mast rake sounds exactly like my problem so i will put it forwards next time i sail and see what happens.
Tasmania's only getaway sailor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We used Portsmouth for us boats that didn't fit into a class on their own.

I sail with the wings on all of the time. I sailed without crew and needed to be able to get out onto the wing from time to time as the wind picked up during the regatta.

'05 Wave