Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is this the correct HOBIE TRAX 2 KAYAK CART; The center to center measurement on the pins that would engage the Kayak is 11 inches and the diameter is 1 inch?

Tom "Flash" Shriver
US Army Golden Knights (Retired)
Hobie Pro Angler
Wilderness Systems Commander 140
Malibu X-Factor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Sounds about right. I'm in China and don't have one here to confirm, but these dimensions have always been the same for every Hobie cart. So beyond this... the length of the post coming though the scupper is the key. Must be long enough to come through into the cockpit.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt:

Thank you so much! I'm new to Hobie, just ordered my PA and I got my Cradles in today for my trailer. Again, Thanks have a safe trip!

Tom "Flash" Shriver
Hobie Pro Angler
Malibu X-Factor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:29 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Hey Matt,

Ref. these carts the wheels are rated at I think 88 lbs, with the finished weight of a PA at 138lbs add some gear and most would be closer to 150lbs any thoughts of making a cart with higher rated wheels?

I have mainly fished Revolutions so weight was not a problem, I recently picked up a PA and have some concerns on the weight issue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

88 lbs. each wheel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:32 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I don't know about that, guys I fish with and walk ins at the shop are having problems with loaded Outbacks and tire failure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys, I don't know if this will help you or not. All I know is, it helped me bunches.
I cut the spot welds on the Trax 2 cart's axle and removed it, then replaced it with a new 34" Stainless axle that I had made at a local machine shop and re welded for about $60. I then installed WheelEez 30cm tires. What a difference! I have to contend with soft sand here on CA. beaches. All the stock Trax 2 tires did was push sand and dig in. The new 30cm tires ride up on top and make things MUCH easier! Just a suggestion for Matt to run by his engineers...Wider axel (34") and bigger tires (30cm) makes a world of difference! I can't imagine it would cost much more for Hobie to make this change. Also a greater weight capacity 121 lbs.!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HH:

Thanks for the tip.. I was thinking of doing just that. My Tires dig in as well. Might you have some photos I could use to take to my machine shop?

Thanks

Tom "Flash" Shriver
Hobie Pro Angler
Malibu X-Factor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll get pics posted as soon as I can. Cart will actually look the same in photo. I'll put old Wheelz along side for comparison. They are 3 1/2" taller and just about twice the width. Only difference is new axle. It is 1/2" stainless 34" long instead of 28". I just used the cutting wheel on a Dremel to cut the spot welds that attach it to the frame and tapped out the old axle with a small hammer. Grooves on end of axles for tire clips are machined 3/32" wide and 3/32" deep, 1/8" from each end. Center and re-weld new axle to frame, then order up the 30 cm Wheelz from:
http://wheeleez.com/beta/beach-wheels-polyurethane.php#WZ130U
and you're set! Pics will come when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:54 pm 
Hobie Team Member

George,

I don't know how they could be having trouble with those new tires on the Trax 2. The rims are smaller diameter and the tires a bit larger. I put these new wheels on my old cart and with the loads I carry, it has made a huge difference. The tires barely squash down at all. I really had to be careful of the older wheels but not these.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Explorer,
My exception with Trax 2 cart was not so much weight as it was performance.
With 24cm tires on soft sand and a load like the PA can handle, all the 24cm's would do was push and dig into the sand. With the new 30cm's the tires now ride up and over almost anything, making a trek to your favorite site much more enjoyable, especially for those of us "getting up there in years." I'm 62 and while not a weakling, I have trouble in softer sand. I can still lift my PA to the top of my Chevy truck to load/unload it, but pulling or pushing it very far in soft sand kinda takes the fun out of what should be an enjoyable day or days on the water. Try doing it at 10,000ft. and you'll really notice it! All I know is, that after I went to the larger tires, it is a GREAT DEAL easier! Also, a little tid bit of info. Try using front scupper holes and rear handle. Big difference! My 2 cents... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 pm 
Hobie Team Member

I gotcha. I thought what George was saying was that they flatted, like how the old tires would under heavy load and then the rims cut them.
Same age and was putting the PA on top of my Wrangler all last season so we have a few things in common there :D . Ended up with using the Revo most often this year and do understand the sand difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey BassnFlash,
Sorry I took so long to get back at you. Here are some pics of the cart and WheelEez so you can see the difference between 24cm WheelEez and 30cm WheelEez.
Matt, you might want to run these by your design guys too. They sure do help!

This is the weld to cut (on each side of axle)

Finished Product

If you are in the habit of plugging the cart in upside down in rear scupper holes while on the water this mod will cover/block access to built in rod holders in hull. You can always remove WheelEez from cart and strap them down separately. Other than that there are no problems. I love it!

Last edited by Halibut hunter on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nice work, as usual, HH.
Did the cart require a longer axle because of the hub width? Also, have you had any difficulty removing/reinstalling the cart (while in the water) due to the size of the tires? In other words, is it like trying to push two basketballs under water?

I sure wish I had your cart with me on my Lake Superior trip!

Thanks for sharing,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

GR8,
Yes Longer axle. 34" instead of 28". Details are further below in forum along with description of whole process. I don't leave cart on in water. I just roll PA over on it's side and unplug it. I suppose it would be like trying to push 2 basketballs underwater though. Nice(?)analogy :lol: