Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car topping AI & TI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I own a yellow AI and am about to receive a yellow TI, I currently car top the AI on a kayak carrier with no problem. When I receive the TI I am Hoping to car top both and have been looking at suitable kayak carriers. The picture below shows the one I am considering, does anyone have something similar and does it work ok? the one concern I have is that the AKA crossbars may come in contact with the roof during loading and damage the paintwork.

The car is a Landcruiser Prado so is big enough to accomodate both in this configuration, but not side by side if laid flat. I am considering a trailer but that is in the future.Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Car topping AI & TI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ummm, good luck car topping a TI with the Landcruiser Prado and that roof rack. After using ours for a full season, I wouldn't want to even attempt roof racking a TI unless I had a large pickup with a mechanical lift.

We use a trailer and it's been effortless.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Subaru liberty and I car top!

I have only had my TI for a week now and has been on and off the roof 4 times but I think it goes well.

I have a standard roof rack rated to 75kg for my car; and I have a Thule goal post attached to my tow bar ( which I installed specifically to carry the TI with the goal post).

Getting it up is quite easy; compared to the thoughts I had. I have attached 3 photos of my TI on the car.

My car drives like a dream with the TI on top. I really forget it is there. I am thinking of getting some Thule kayak 'holder things' to support the TI a little more!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice car, and nice setup. That's a lot of boat up there. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Both at the same time?? Short hauls or long?

Can't imagine how this would work out well - even if you could find a wide enough rack that is rated for that much load. And if your vehicle roof is rated for 300lbs or more.

You normally roll or push each hull up on its belly (and then flip it or put it on its side) so I don't think there will be room to do after the first boat is lifted. You'll want the hulls in the center J positions for safety, and that looks like a really heavy and awkward overhead task, even for 2 guys who love to dead lift.

Then the different hull lengths are going to introduce different sway and tiedown challenges.

A trailer or large truck rack with T-bar is a more solid way to carry 2 Hobies. Or 2 cars, until you get a trailer...

If something can be done, someone on this forum usually figures it out. But a recipe of PVC, bungees and ducktape are not going to hack it here. :lol:

If you can make something work, let us know. If not, forward us the insurance pictures. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I picked up my TI last friday , I use an Extra cab Rodeo with a tray back to cart it around, I was really surprised how much bigger the TI is against the AI{Hugely different} even though weight is not a problem for my ute, it's the size, on paper the two don't seem that much different but side by side the difference is vast.
And I wouldn't even contemplate another Kayak up besides the TI.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, hiking the AI/TI's up on J cradles could greatly increase the likelihood of Aka owies to your roof. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU, yes both at the same time! I already car top the AI and can't see any problem doing the same with the TI, except when I want to take both at the same time.

The rack and the roof will take the weight as the only things going on the roof are the 2 X hulls, 2 X masts and 4 X Amas. The seats, the drives, tha akas and everything else will go inside the vehilce. From what Matt has told me that should add up to less than the 100 kg limit.

I am still hoping someone will come forward that has experience of using this type of kayak holder with an AI or TI..........................anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JMS, I bet you will love your new TI.

There's probably SOME way to cram your brand spankin new tandem up there too. But you won't catch ME driving behind you! :lol: Gravity is a (censored).

Seeing Pauls flashy red TI piggybacking his tiny Subaru (and similar picts) got me thinking. Has anyone experienced a fenderbender while cartopping their Hobie?

What was the outcome?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've got Rhino J-racks and I've carried my AI on them, but that is approaching the rated capacity of the J-racks. With the TI hull weighing twice as much, I dunno....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In regards to an accident; I suppose the weakest point would be the join between the car and the rack. If you don't go over the wait rating; a small/moderate crash 'should' be ok. Anything larger and who knows!

As I great show stated 'Let's be careful out there!'
If you know this show; you are old!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj - any pics? is there high risk of damaging the roof with the aka cross members?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had help when loading the AI on the J-racks - I only need to use them when putting two boats on the car. When I do that, the J-racks are at an angle, not facing vertically like in your picture and the second boat is inverted on the roofracks. We have carried the AI facing upright, so the crossbars don't come near the car roof.
I don't have a photo of the AI on the J-rack, but here's an old photo with the AI on the roofrack and another boat on the J-rack. If I get a moment, I'll throw the AI on the J-rack and take a photo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There you go. I used a lateral loading bar, as you can see, because it's the first time I have put it up there on my own, but I don't think it would be necessary with a bit of practice.
I sure wouldn't like to be attempting it with a TI. Would there be room for the TI to lay flat on the roofracks, with the AI on the J-racks?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jms2756 wrote:
The rack and the roof will take the weight as the only things going on the roof are the 2 X hulls, 2 X masts and 4 X Amas. The seats, the drives, tha akas and everything else will go inside the vehilce. From what Matt has told me that should add up to less than the 100 kg limit.

According to Matt's posting the AI hull weights 80 pounds and the TI hull weighs 120 pounds. 200 pounds = about 91 kg which leaves about 9 kg for your 2 sails and 4 amas.

I'm not sure what all these parts weigh but I'll bet they are considerably over 9 kg.

2008 AI