Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can the TI be stored on the Hobie trailer made for it? I want to purchase one of these but have no place at home to store anything as large as the TI. There is no parking in the street at my house and my garage is full already.
The only place I could store this is to rent a spot at the boat storage lot on base. This would entail keeping the TI stored on the bottom of it's hull but in it's cradles and covered with a cover to keep the harsh Hawaii sun off it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aloha Keith,

Chances are, year round storage in our intense sun is going to put love handles on your boats hull. That plastic will cook and cool down every single day, regardless of the cover used. Shade is the key.

You could devise a canvas bimini shade tarp for it, if they would allow that on base, but it could blow away or damage something, left unattended.

The good news is that the Hobie cradles should be more forgiving than other kayak saddles (as far as deforming the hull) and you might be able to use pads or blankets to cushion the load.

Generally, it is advisable to store the yak (covered) on its top or side for long longer periods.

Or just take it out on the water every day. :wink: Problem solved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I store my AI and TI on a trailer in my garage in Florida. I have the Hobie cradles for them and have not seen any ill effects and my garage gets very very hot. (no airconditioning and an uninsulated door that gets hit by the afternoon sun) My guess is that if you cover the boat to keep the sun off it you won't have a problem.

2008 AI