Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What tensions the rig if you don't use the jib? Do you just connect the jib halyard to the bridle plates and tension from there? Is the halyard long enough to reach?

Thanks,
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:12 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
You would need to tighten your forestay then used the side shrouds to tighten the rig. I suppose you could simply use the jib halyard to tighten the rig. I would just simply move the forestay down the 10 hole adjuster and then tighten your side shrouds as you would on any other boat that doesn't use the jib to tighten the rig. Out of curiosity why are you going to be sailing w/o a jib?

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking that the first few times that I tried to sail this boat solo I would go sans jib. I am fairly new to sailing and this seems like it would be less to keep up with and less sail area as I learn more. What do you think? Is this a good idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:24 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
This is tuff call, Yes there is less to do but I am afraid the boat isn't going to react correctly w/o the jib and it might make it harder to sail. I haven't been on a H16 w/o a jib in a very long time I don't remember having a good experience with it either. I would think the rudders would need to be adjusted accordingly too. I'm sure some of the H16 guys can offer better advice on this that I can.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The H-16 is a very easy boat to sail single handed, but without a jib I don't think the boat would sail very well. The boat was designed to be sailed as a sloop. It will be much easier to handle with a jib.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I sometimes sail my 16 without the jib. I set basic tension by pulling on a trap wire and adjusting the shrouds like a 14. I then use the jibsheet hooked to the bridle adjuster to fine tune tension. Without the jib it seems to like a looser rig and less mast rake. It's also much harder to tack, but with good speed it tacks OK
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The jib halyard isn't long enought so if I sail my 16 without the jib, I simply get a length of strong rope and tie one end to the jib halyard and the other to the forestay bridle and tension as normal, as long as you're not out in big swell it shouldn't be a problem. I've certainly not had a problem.

As for sailing like this, well it's basically the same as sailing a 14. Yeah it's harder to tack, but if you can learn to tack a 14 well, a 16 becomes very easy.

Schobiedoo.