Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air pressure in Ama
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was storing my TI last weekend and thought it was best that I undo the drain plug to check for any water that needs to be drained. Instead, a small blast of compressed air started to escape as I was unscrewing the drain plug.

Do we need to be concerned with the amount of pressure that can build up in our ama's? Can drastic temp changes result in too much built up pressure that it could result in a blown out the drain plug or ruptures? Would installing a pressure release valve be a good idea?

Just wondering...

cliffs2yak

Post subject: Re: Air pressure in Ama
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have always wondered about that also, I always store my amas with the drain plugs undone and close them up before heading out on the water. I usually undo them again before loading back on the car and have noticed the air pressure release then.

It would be nice to get an answer, and is it different for AI to Ti as they have different style plugs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably only if you leave it to really cook in the sun.

Covered =fine. On the water =fine. Coming down from Mauna Kea = maybe not so good. ;-)

Still - a little positive pressure is much better than the opposite.

What elevation do you live at?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We live in Florida our the TI & AI spend the summer in our extremely hot garage with the plugs in without any ill effects. When I finally decided to check them I got the same air release. I wish I never pulled the plugs because they can't leak while under pressure.

2008 AI

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does the AI have drain plugs in the amas, for memory when I changed the lug plugs to loop plugs on my 07 amas they were sealed and there are no other plugs in them that I know of ?

Anyway, nup never worried about it, like dosjers said, cannot take on water if they have pressure inside them. If they burst from internal pressure while I am on the water then I think I have a little more to worry about, and it is stored in a shed out of direct sunlight when not in use.
I have also left it sitting on black concrete in summer 43c while I worked on it, didn't have anything go pop or hiss (well not the AI anyway) so am guessing it's no big deal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jerry, next time you're out sailing, at the end of the trip just briefly undo/redo the plugs. That should let in the cooler, denser air. Or, even during a colder night?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From this page Air - Temperature, Pressure and Density, it would indicate that letting in air at 60°F, then sealing the amas, and allowing them to heat up to 120°F, would result in a pressure increase of about 10%.

I'd be rather surprised if the amas and plugs couldn't very comfortably cope with that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! Just how hot does it get in there? :oops:

Jerry, I was interested in the "folding" trailer extension you use to cram the TI in the garage/oven. Got any pictures of that? In another thread?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have my TI stored in a cool concrete shed that's 522 feet above sea level (according to Google Earth). So it's stored pretty close to sea level. But it's the first time I removed my ama's drain plug since I got it. So it could be the change in atmosphere from the factory to my storage shed. Glad I was able to help equalize it a bit. It was enough pressure to catch me by surprise and question if it was too much for such a little drain plug. It's one of those things to check when you first get your TI. At least I know my amas are air tight -they should be okay :)

Aloha,

cliffs2yak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Jerry, next time you're out sailing, at the end of the trip just briefly undo/redo the plugs. That should let in the cooler, denser air. Or, even during a colder night?

Max,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to remember to do it the next time I'm out sailing.

2008 AI