Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey i am new to this site but not new to hobie sailing i have had an 18 that i have done nothing with and now i am going to get her sailing again and i was just wondering how (if it is even possible) can you right a hobie 18 with about 220 lbs and if it is at all possible to single handedly right a hobie 130lbs+ the water bag also what if any mast float fits on an older H18 mast to prevent from turteling and is there always trapeezes on them and how do you rig up those? just wondering i have looked at pictures but i just cannot lay it out because all the pictures are of boats not specifically the trap. is there a good way to clean rust off of a sail w/out hurting it?

thanks for any input
Jonathan
Niceville,Fl

Post subject: RIGHTING
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search on this site or look through the older posts. You can right a H-18 singlehanded if you have the right equipment. You can also do a search on the Catamaran Sailor website for a similar topic.

I haven't ever had to right the 18 by myself so I can only point you to the information available.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I weight 250lbs and am unable to right a H18 solo without mechanical assistance. Fortunatley I had a crew with me that was 220+ and we were able to bring her back up... with lots of work. Do a search for righting poles. That looks, to me, to be the best solution. It gives you the most mechanical advantage.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In the open forum, Matt Miller recommended the Hobie Upright system for righting larger boats. I've not used it, but perhaps someone else could explain its effectiveness. And don't forget to contact your Hobie dealer for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can right it single handed with shroud extenders. Point the mast into the wind. I tie my trapeze hook to the righting line with a loop and hang from it. There needs to be some wind, its harder in light air if not impossible. Uncleat the jib and main prior to attempting. Hang on to the boat by catching the tramp lacing or the dolphin striker, hang on to the boat. Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Just curious.....when using shroud extensions to right a cat, what keeps the mast from coming off of it's base?

Thomas
H18M "Windraider"

Post subject: Righting an H-18
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thomas:

When you buy the shroud extender kit, you also receive a wire extension about 30" long that goes through the cleats at the bottom of the mast, then around the dolphin striker extension pole. I found this system very difficult to use, so I use a righting pole instead.

Since I like to play around a lot when the water goes over seventy degrees, I usually flip the 18 a few times a year. I found the righting pole allows me to get the boat back over by myself and I weigh 170 lbs. However, you'll have to either tie a pole on yourself or adapt the righting pole kit, since they want you to rivet the pole axis to the underside of your crossbar, right through your tramp; not a good thing.

Last year I was in a race in Rochester when I flipped the boat in higher winds. I thought it would be easy to get it back, but the boat was carried downwind because of a severe current and turtled. The problem with the righting pole is that you need a righting line to get the boat back up from a turtle position. I've since added a mast float to help prevent this. I'll have to remove the float from the mast for racing, though; I've been told that it is not race legal. This seems kind of odd because you would think that HCA would want everyone to be safety concious.

Good luck,

Wyatt