Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been going to a tiny (7 acres) high Sierra lake lately, yesterday was my 4th trip there in less than three weeks. It is a high altitude lake (over 8k'). There is a rough dirt road that goes in for a few miles so it keeps the casual fisherpeople away, most of the time I am the only one there and rarely is there anyone on the water as most people fish from the shore. I had a 50-60 fish day yesterday, caught and released all except 5 that I kept for dinner. The weather was perfect to start, around 32 degrees in the morning and not a cloud in sight, it was in the low 70's when I left. The weather report was saying rain showers in the afternoon and sure enough as the day progressed clouds rolled in and it started raining around 3 in the afternoon. I am trying to fish this lake as much as I can before the snow closes all access.

this is a co-worker, I let him borrow my Outback:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gotta love the Sierrs in the fall. I'm going next weekend.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm sure you'd be willing to share with us just which tiny lake it is...Pretty Please? :D :lol: I can grovel really well! :lol:
I just got back from one on the eastern slope (Fri 10/1 almost 10,000 ft.) Alas, it'll soon be frozen over! You show me yours, I'll show you mine.
Just a thought... :D Image

Last edited by Halibut hunter on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Halibut hunter wrote:
I'm sure you'd be willing to share with us just which tiny lake it is...Pretty Please? :D :lol: I can grovel really well! :lol:
I just got back from one on the eastern slope (Fri 10/1 almost 10,000 ft.) Alas, it'll soon be frozen over! You show me yours, I'll show you mine.
Just a thought... :D Image

But.......I did show you, see the pictures above?
I went back Friday, black ice on the highway makes for an interesting experience towing a short wheelbase trailer! temp was 27 at 7am.
ended up with 56 rainbows caught and released for the day, had 4 doubles too! there was 2" of snow at the beginning of the week but it had melted by mid week, took care of all the dust from the road.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yup, snow came in last Tues./Wed. You're right though. It didn't last long. Sure ya' don't want to share/trade the locale??? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Atavuss,
Not going to bug you about "secret lake" , I think I know anyway. However, Have you ever fished Blue lakes, either upper or lower and what do you think? I know their camp grounds can get a "little" congested comparatively speaking, but I've never bothered with them because of that fact. At least that's what I've heard. Are they worth the trek or should I keep to smaller less known sites. This is for next year. Normally I fish south of Bridgeport. Occasionally, I'll go above Tahoe or over to Nev. My time in God's country is done for the year. Now, I gotta go back to the damn Halibut... but, they sure do taste good...
Hope you keep pullin' em in till the freeze...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Halibut hunter wrote:
Atavuss,
Not going to bug you about "secret lake" , I think I know anyway. However, Have you ever fished Blue lakes, either upper or lower and what do you think? I know their camp grounds can get a "little" congested comparatively speaking, but I've never bothered with them because of that fact. At least that's what I've heard. Are they worth the trek or should I keep to smaller less known sites. This is for next year. Normally I fish south of Bridgeport. Occasionally, I'll go above Tahoe or over to Nev. My time in God's country is done for the year. Now, I gotta go back to the damn Halibut... but, they sure do taste good...
Hope you keep pullin' em in till the freeze...

Hi HH,
I fished and camped at Lower Blue Lake several times late this summer, the fishing was pretty good, especially in the late afternoon. We had 20+ fish days every afternoon until it got too dark to fish. We were able to camp right next to the lake too which made it nice and easy to fish. The only downside to the campsite is there are no bear boxes to lock your food and ice chests in. A bear or bears came into one camp and set two vehicle alarms off, the campers left early the next morning, it may have been too much "nature" for them. I heard bears in our camp just about every night after going to bed but if you keep a clean camp you should be ok.
I am still hitting the high country but after this weekend I may not be able to get into the high country lakes until next year's ice out.
here are a few pics of Lower Blue Lakes:

This is a co-worker borrowing my Hobie Outback:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Atavuss,
Thanks for the info. I think next year I'll try it out. Do you know about how deep the lakes might be? Lately I've been targeting larger fish. They seem to hang out mostly around 40 ft. Sometimes deeper or shallower, but mostly right near that depth. It's really weird, but I thought most (natural) Sierra lakes would be much deeper than I have been finding, since I installed my fish finder. As of now, one of the deepest small lakes I've found is Rock Creek lake out of Bishop. It's only about 95 ft. It also gets way more crowded than I like. I know The 2 Blues are man-made, but I am curious.
I do have a couple of real back country lakes I love to fish. However they are only accessible by backpacking or horseback. Haven't been able to convince a pack station to carry my PA in yet. Can't figure out why though... :lol:
Again, Thanks for the info and the pics. I really appreciate it.
Good Luck. Tight lines and keep catching as long as possible!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't remember for sure but I want to think Lower Blue was around 40 to 50 feet deep and this is when the water level was down a bit in late summer. I have no idea about Upper Blue lake as I have not fished it with a fish finder.