Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rally vs Regatta
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm excited about the new to be 21SE. I raced Hobie's for over 10 years and have been out of it about that long. I've been getting my sailing fix every other year in the BVI on a big 40' cat. In reading the forums and websites about long distant races I'm disappointed to see several of them exclude boats with wings, I really want to do the Cuba Run not to race but for the experience. I know numerous people that dropped out of the Hobie community during the years just because they weren't racers. It got me to thinking that the reason I got the 21 was because I wanted to have fun not hard core race.

I like the thought of long distance sailing have several friends in Florida with motor boats. My thought was to throw a catamaran rally that went from Florida to the Bahama's and back. Open it up to anyone over 18' limit it to 20 boats (exemptions for more 21's) for logistic reasons and do it. Event would be about fun, sailing, and safety. I would like to know the groups thoughts about (1) not racing, (2) various locations, (3) general comments.

Thanks
Drew (sail has two numbers 40 & 66 and serial number says it should be 173, like me it is confused)

Post subject: Re: Rally vs Regatta
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, that actually sounds like a lot of fun. I'm stationed up in South Carolina, and I would have to plan far enough ahead to get my command to sign off on it. But if you'd like to start planning it now for the spring or summer 2011, I'm up for it.
As far as racing goes, I've got a 21SC. Racing is pretty much out of the question.
And for locations, I don't really know of many. That's something I'd have to leave to the higher echelons for planning.
I actually don't check these forums very often, but you can email me at [email protected]. I also know a few guys on the panhandle that might like to come along on their Nacra 6.0's...maybe.

Seth
Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser, Sail 336