Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is an H20 for sale near me for $700, which seems pretty low to me. The owner has said that it is complete, but the front bulkhead is clogged, and i would need to put inspection ports in, but I'm fine with that. Basically, everything else is in good/ok shape, but some lines and rigging might need replacing. There is no trailer included. My questions are:
Where would you put the inspection ports in?
Are there any other ways to transport besides a trailer? I can keep the boat on the beach, and he can deliver with another 20 trailer, but we would need to move the boat during the winter.
I've heard to check the front crossbeam connections for cracks. Does anyone have pics of said cracks? Are there any other spots to check?
How tough are H20 hulls? I know weaker than an 18/16, but are they stronger than Wild Cats, and other new high performance boats?
What size spinnakers do most people run? I have a 200 sq ft spi in my garage, but it seems like that is a bit too small.
Can you singlehand the boat in >15 knots if you furl the jib and are on your toes?
Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie18wanted wrote:
There is an H20 for sale near me for $700, which seems pretty low to me. The owner has said that it is complete, but the front bulkhead is clogged,

WTF does that mean? :shock:

hobie18wanted wrote:
How tough are H20 hulls? I know weaker than an 18/16, but are they stronger than Wild Cats, and other new high performance boats?

I don't know about weaker, just like any boat (even a H16) there's no reason for it to touch the ground. The H16 is good for beaching and has a durable keel to it just because its a point. There's a lot of structure there to take impacts. Where as with a flat, or round bottom hull punctures can happen pretty easily.

hobie18wanted wrote:
Can you singlehand the boat in >15 knots if you furl the jib and are on your toes?

I have very limited experience on a H20, they're a handful in 15kts sailing two up. I have also heard of people bending rudder castings with the jib furled because the rudders are so loaded up. Also righting it in light air singlehanded would probably be pretty tough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the drainage hole in the front bulkhead is clogged, so water is stuck there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You posted earlier about getting the water out of the front of the boat. I would stay away from port holes in front of the forward crossbar at all costs. If it were me, I probably start by just drilling a small drain hole in the tip of the bow, tilt the boat up to drain the water out, and then glass the hole closed and caulk the heck out of the bow tang.

$700 for a complete Hobie 20 sounds like an awesome deal (in fact too good to be true really). I'd give everything a real good inspection. Check front and rear crossbar connections for any signs of cracking. This would be particularly true for boats made in the early to mid '90s.

Your statement about the H20 hulls being weaker than the other boats is a little off. If anything, they're probably better suited to the sailing loads than the older designs because they incorporate bulkheads and refined construction processes. But the 20 was not really intended to be dragged across beaches etc, so it demands a little more gentle care off the water.

Just about any boat can be single handed, but at some point its going to become a real handful. If your primary goal is single handing, there are better boats to choose (unless you weight about 250lbs).

sm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

yes buy it. Find an old trailer build a platform out of 2x10 to move it. Drain the water, fix the leak. Buy some catrax. Get crew if you want to sail it in wind over 10 knots.

For $700 you cannot go wrong (unless the mast is bent, something is missing,or the sails are (censored))

where are you from?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
hobie18wanted wrote:
The owner has said that it is complete, but the front bulkhead is clogged,

WTF does that mean? :shock:
Matt already said the hole at the bottom is clogged, the leak spot is the bow tang. Think I'd spend a couple hours with a snake or some sort of auger (from rear port) to try and clear the hole before chopping a hole in the deck, you might get lucky. If you cant clear consider cutting a hole between the beam and board trunk and just glassing it back in after the clog is cleared. This is an area for soft spots (on older boats) anyway.

Unless you weigh 250, forget about singlehanding. Sailing at 320 pounds we were double trapped at 8 knots, but had the older, fuller cut, EP main.

Cracks at the front beam? They'll be up high on the inside of the hulls. Our 1994 had them but they never got any worse, raced it for two years, bought it from the original owner who raced it from day one. Was also told my transoms were going to "fall off" because of cracks just below the deck...same story, just kept an eye on them, cracks never got worse.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am in the SF Bay Area. When I said h20 hulls are weaker, I did mean for beach use- dragging across sand... I also thought a complete H20 was too good to be true, so I'll be real careful. Are they any smaller sails/ methods of reefing to make the main smaller? I was thinking of using a snake to clear up the bulkhead. The other thing about the boat is that the tramp is sailable, but barely. I've seen them on ebay, but are there better places to get them? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie18wanted wrote:
tramp is sailable, but barely. I've seen them on ebay, but are there better places to get them? Thanks.
Surf City Catamarans
http://surfcitysailing.com/
call Jeremy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I saw the Whrilwind H20 High wind sail on catsailor.com. Is it class legal? Does anyone have experience with them?
http://store.catsailor.com/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=15868&idcategory=0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:37 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobie18wanted wrote:
Is it class legal?

No. Only Hobie branded sails are class legal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I heard that hobie contracts whirlwind to make H20 sails

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:22 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobie18wanted wrote:
I heard that hobie contracts whirlwind to make H20 sails

That may be true, but they come with a Hobie sail maker patch on them. A Whirlwind branded sail is not class legal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, thank you for the clarification

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are a good number of excellent Hobie 20 sailors here in Northern CA - some of them in the SF Bay Area - and better sailors than me - that would be willing to help. Where is the 20 located? Have you purchased it? If you have - Welcome to Hobie 20s!

Check out the Division 3 website - http://www.div3.hobieclass.com/
and sign up for the email reflector.
On Nov 20 the wind up party is at the Richmond Yacht club where you can meet quite a few Hobie 20 sailors. In fact, a few Division3 sailors (including Hobie 20 sailors) are planning to do the Great Pumpkin pursuit race this Sunday Oct 31 out of Richmond Yacht club.

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you Dwight. we would be sailing on Tomales Bay, there is currently one other H20 at our yacht club. If we buy the boat, i will be in touch with the Div 3 sailors.