Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went out on Lake Kerr in Virginia yesterday for the first time in my new Outback. Water temp was about 45 F and the air temp was about 63 F and the wind was gusting to about 15 to 20 knots. What a great experience. Beautiful day, beautiful lake. Great Kayak.

I peddled for 70 mins and had a grand time. The peddling was easier than I expected but after 70 mins I felt as thoough I got a decent workout.

The OB performed better expected but I had one little annoyance. One of the foot straps kept coming off the clip. Wondering if others have had this problem and what the fix is?

DaddyOh 8)

Post subject: pedal straps
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DaddyOh,
I'm a noob to kayaks of any kind. That said, I bought a Hobie Adventure. After 3 or 4 trips I took the straps off. I don't miss them at all. I like being able to move my feet around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

DaddyOh wrote:
One of the foot straps kept coming off the clip. Wondering if others have had this problem and what the fix is?
DaddyOh 8)

Take a close look at that footstrap. It must be torn, improperly seated or the the mounting peg is deformed. Normally, it's very difficult to get those straps off.

When the straps are properly adjusted, they make it easier to keep your feet in position. They also enable you to "pull", adding power to your stroke and a more complete workout for your legs. Improperly adjusted, they just seem to get in the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto to what RR said. Normally those straps are a pain to get off, and or adjust, so I finally removed them on my OB. However, I left them on my wife's Sport, and find they are sometimes useful. But if they come off on their own, then there is something wrong with how they were attached, or they may be defective. Once they are "locked" on, they should not come off spontaneously, unless they are of a new design that I have not yet seen.