Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always found that stepping the mast on the hobie 16 was tough. I am 45 and in good shape however between the weight of the mast the struggling to get the mast base to flip into the base has been tough.

Any recommendations on making this easier?

I am considering purchasing a winch (remote) to aid in the lifting. If I was to use a winch, would I connect direct to the forestay and somehow line up with the front spreaders to fasten in? I am also considering some sort of Klein wire pullers (something like http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/pro ... 014857.php) to the forestay to make connecting to the spreaders easier.

What have individuals done?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When swinging up the mast up as you are it close being close to vertical, stop the swing up for a split second and mast generally drops into the base from it's dead weight. Then your set. Has worked for me for the past 35 years. Give it a try.

1976 H16 27640
1985 H16 89112

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I almost always have a helper along so I installed a boat winch on the trailer mast support. A strap runs from it up to a bow roller very near the top of the mast support. I have a quick shackle that I hook to the jib halyard and my helper then winches the mast up. I get on the tramp only to keep the mast centered, but no effort on my part. I then jump down and connect the forestay which wa s loose then disconnect the shackle from the jib halyard. Works great for me. When I solo, I just muscle it up as normal. It would also help if you can get the trailer and boat pointed downhill if possible.

Sail #11

Hobie Mirage Classic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always raise my mast alone and don't have much trouble. I am 76 years old. I have a tripod made out of 3 tent poles that I use to hold up the end of the mast. I tie a line, about 7 or 8' long to the jib halyard and the bridle. I raise the mast, lean into it while I reach down to uncleat and pull the jib halyard tight then recleat it. That holds the mast up while I get down and hook up the forestay. I used to hesitate as I raised the mast to get it to flip into the socket but I lost upper body strength after heart surgery 3 years ago so I bought the hinge bracket from Murray's that eliminates the problem. It is constructed so that rotation is limited and the mast just drops in place. It must be completely removed before sailing which is a minor inconvenience.

The biggest problem I have had is getting the shrouds and/or trap wires caught on the corner castings as I raise the mast. I recently came up with the best solution to that problem. I stretch the bungees and hook the trap wires around the front corner castings. I then drape the shrouds over the wires to the inside which keeps everything inboard and away from fouling.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply hrtsailor

Is this the Mast Hinge Kit H16
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS

Not quite sure from the catalog picture how this works but knowing that something like this would help with putting the mast end in the socket would be great. With my older hobie 16, i have broken the mast base twice. Now I do think that the base was much more brittle due to its age.

But getting the mast in the socket is one of the hardest aspect of raising the mast.

Have you considered a powered winch?

thx-dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
so I bought the hinge bracket from Murray's that eliminates the problem. It is constructed so that rotation is limited and the mast just drops in place. It must be completely removed before sailing which is a minor inconvenience.
Quote:
Is this the Mast Hinge? Kit H16
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc ... re_Code=MS
That's the one Howard refered to...works pretty slick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave,

I never found the need to use a winch to raise the mast. I start lifting while at the rear of tramp and walk forward. There is one point where it takes good bit of effort but once past that point it is no problem. I'm not sure but I think the comptip mast adds some weight to the mast, making raising it more difficult. I never had mine retrofitted though I received notice from Hobie that they would do it free. I bought my boat new in '85 just before the comptip came out. Yes, that is the right link from Murrays. It solves the "toggling" problem that occurs with the old link. It works by the shape where the link hits the mast base as you raise the mast, limiting how far the link will rotate on the lower pin. After that, all the rotation is at the pin in the top of the link. As you remove the link, you will find that the shape of it interferes with the rotation of the mast so it must be completely removed to sail.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice thread here.

Is that hinge Hobie part #21380001?

Using the search function...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JJ,

That link is not a Hobie part but is an alternative to it. If you look at the link in an earlier post to the Murray page, you can see that it is listed as an alternative. I am a great believer in staying with Hobie parts but this really solved a problem for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Boy, Howard, you really know how to make a fellow feel bad! Actually you are an inspiration. :wink:

I'm only 66, had heart sugery 6 years ago and cannot raise the mast without my gin pole and electric winch.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ed,

I had the operation in March 2008 (quintuple bypasses), and was allowed to start sailing again by June. I was sailing solo, just 3 months after the operation including raising the mast. I credit the excellent doctors for my fast and successful recovery. My cardiologist tells me to keep on sailing and I like that prescription.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not sure if it's the same on a 16 but but I do the following on my 14:

With the mast lying on the tramp and the base attached to the stepping pin;
I sling a bungee cord over the mast base and attach it to the trailer below, through the gaps in between the tramp halves.

This gives some resistance downwards which helps pivot the mast base (like a fulcrum) into the step.

The resistance is all at the base so you won't notice it when stepping. Then when the mast is up, carefully un-clip the bungee cord as it will be stretched quite a bit and you don't' want to lose an eye!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the biggest problems I have is getting the pin out of the Mast Step Link Kit (http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-21380001&Category_Code=C-MR&Store_Code=MS) after I get the mast up and the forestay attached.

My link kit is bent which could be adding to the problem but I think it's bent because of the pin getting stuck and then having to be banged out with a hammer.

Any advice? Should I use a thinner pin? Something else?

Thanks!
Bloome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When the pin is stuck, I have someone pull on the forestay to get the tension off the link, That usually allows the pins to be pulled out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might also try using a Phillips screwdriver instead of the pin. The longer length, tapered tip and handle make it easier to insert or pull out.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL