Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Upside down resting on the cross bars is ok (I found this out from the threads!)

But..

Storage on its side / edge?? - This is how I have stored other sitontops in the past as it taks up the least room and it is easy to handle the kayak into position laying up against a wall. Is this ok?

I wouldn't usually fuss but ££££ for a yak I feel obliged to put a duvet over it and tuck it in each night :wink:

I have access to a workshop to make a rack so any ideas which make safe storage quick, easy and space saving appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Pav,

Congratulations on the new Hobie!

These boats are fairly tough and don't require too much engineering to store. The first consideration is the environment you plan to store your boat, inside, outside, wet, dry, and most importantly is probably temperature. If you store outside in 100 degree direct sun, you have limited options and should take specific precautions. If your storage is inside, dry, average temp of 85 degrees (F) or less, you have many options. In the later, side storage works fine with a couple of considerations. I personally have used hanging straps on a Mirage Adventure kayak for many years with no issue. The straps are a hassle to load and unload by yourself, but they give you the most clearance with nothing protruding beyond the boat.

A side load rack would be easier to use. Your rack support arms should have enough distance between to allow the rocker of the boat to be cradled and centered, a minimum 4 foot spread, although I would try align my rack arms with the boats internal structure for strength and support -( on the AI / TIs align with the aka mounts). Next make sure the surface area of the arms that come in contact with the boat have a resting pad with a 4" width or more to spread the point of contact and not crease the boat. It would be most desirable to match the contour of the rack arm to the side / bottom of boat for a glove like fit.

****MOST IMPORTANT ACTION YOU MUST TAKE*******
Before you put your new boat in the water, find a extremely level concrete or asphalt surface, carefully set the boat on this flat surface (may take 2 people). Next tie a 5 foot long 1/4 inch rope on to the front handle drag the boat on its bottom about 10 feet. Now that you have your first scratches, get over it and go sailing! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

****MOST IMPORTANT ACTION YOU MUST TAKE*******
Before you put your new boat in the water, find a extremely level concrete or asphalt surface, carefully set the boat on this flat surface (may take 2 people). Next tie a 5 foot long 1/4 inch rope on to the front handle drag the boat on its bottom about 10 feet. Now that you have your first scratches, get over it and go sailing!

:lol: .. yes I'm used to new boat syndrome! I like this method.

Sorted storage out today. Had to move the chest freezer to fit it in the garage, with just 2" to spare! Must have been in the original design specification to fit in my garage :wink: